seven

CHAPTER SEVEN: the old verse the new

            The old ducks verse the new. each side took a bench, coach bombay sending out a few players first. jesse took centre ice against dwayne. andrea sat on the bench, because in his words, coach 'wanted to see how they played against slightly less talented players.'

of course, all of the ducks were good. andrea and adam, however, were definitely quite a bit better, more experienced. while they got boot camp from their old coach reilly, the rest had gotten nothing until gordon bombay came along.

quickly, luis got a breakaway on goldberg. as he neared the net, andrea realized this was going to be one big collision.

she winced as the speedster collided with goldberg, sending the two to the ground, the puck long forgotten. "thanks for breaking my fall," luis told goldberg, who was quick with his witty response.

as the ducks got the puck, dean knocked them down. they took a shot, which julie blocked with ease. as the new players received the puck again, averman stopped beside the bench, taking a breath.

"haven't you guys been training in the off season?" coach bombay asked him.

averman sent him a smile. "you know, i knew we forgot something."

coach sighed, turning to andrea. "you wanna get out there, show them what you got?"

andrea grinned. "yes, sir."

she hopped out onto the ice, switching off with averman. adam had the puck, sending it her way as he spotted her. she cradled the puck with her stick, taking off down the ice. she neared the net, faking left and shooting right once julie had committed to one side.

"good shot, jones! way to show 'em!" coach bombay called, clapping in approval.

as the game continued, dean slammed into fulton, which andrea knew was a bad idea, as fulton would not take well to being pushed over.

guy and charlie skated towards him, ready to knock him over, but with little force, dean knocked them both into the net. goldberg turned around to peer at them through the mesh netting. "ding, round one!"

soon, fulton skated down the ice. andrea did her best to keep luis away from him, knowing he could catch up with him in a second if she let him. she knocked into him, hitting his stick with hers, as she skated between him and fulton.

out of the corner of her eye, she spotted don tibbles re-enter the arena with a woman. fulton came to a stop, rearing back to take his shot.

"watch out!" andrea warned her team mates, who looked up with panicked looks, diving out of the way.

the new players watched as the ducks scrambled away from the net. dean scoffed, standing up straighter. "what a bunch of wusses!"

fulton shot the puck, sending it soaring through the air with force. as the puck flew toward him, dean let out a whimper, diving away.