six

CHAPTER SIX: the zit is back

          The air was warm, the wind flying through her hair as she pushed herself with her rollerblades around the driveway, stick in hand.

she handled the ball with ease, passing it from side to side with her stick. she felt him skating beside her, attempting to hit the ball away from her.

she took a surprise swerve to the right, cutting him off. he abruptly stopped, trying to keep his balance. she shot the puck into the net, lifting her arms into the air in celebration.

she heard adam groan behind her. "that's two nothing for me!" she boasted, her head raised high with pride.

"not fair," adam countered. "i'm going easy on you."

it was a hot summer morning, and she and adam had set up a net in his driveway, tying on their rollerblades and playing one on one. it was the closest thing to hockey they could get in the summer, when the ice had all melted and the off season was upon them.

she opened her mouth to retort, but before she could, someone else spoke up.

"hey cake-eaters, you wanna play some real hockey?"

andrea would recognize that voice anywhere; the voice of a fellow duck. she turned to where jesse's voice had come from at the end of the driveway. with him stood connie and guy, averman, goldberg, and none other than charlie conway.

andrea smiled at the group. she'd hardly seen the ducks lately, aside from adam. he lived next door, it was kind of impossible not to see him.

her eyes seemed to linger on charlie longer than the rest. like them all, charlie had grown up. he wore his green ducks jersey, of course, brown shaggy hair partially hidden underneath his helmet. he had almost completely grown out of the slight baby face he had used to have.

charlie tried to hide it, but he couldn't take his eyes off of andrea, as he expectantly awaited an answer. she was a little taller, but not quite as tall as him. her brown hair was tied into a lengthy ponytail, and charlie could swear that in the sunlight, it changed color.

he noticed her looking, grinning at her. "you coming or what, jones?"

she glanced at adam, before looking back to the ducks. "we're in!"

as they ducks cheered, adam and andrea skated with them down the street, following after them. they were quickly caught up with the fact that coach bombay was back, and he'd been asked to round up the ducks for some international hockey tournament where they would compete as team u.s.a.

andrea didn't know the full details, but a smile was plastered on her face. she couldn't wait to be back on the ice with the ducks, the feeling of the puck on her stick, surrounded by her teammates.