nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN: one step forward, two steps back

forward, two steps back

Stood in the office, andrea looked around with her team. thankfully, they didn't get in too much trouble, having been given the benefit of the doubt as it was their first day and they didn't know their way around yet.

"charlie, man, this is not a good start to our year." kenny said, having been sat in the audience with a few others as they watched the ducks trash the stage.

charlie shrugged. "don't worry, kenny. these prepsters aren't gonna do anything to us."

andrea's eyes were focused on the ant farm, watching the creatures move. these must be the fire ants she had read about. charlie walked over to her, leaning down beside her. "check it out, antsville."

the rest of the ducks came over, peering at the ant farm as well. as they looked, watching the ants run through the various paths, a voice spoke up from the other side of the farm.

"you can learn a lot from ants." said dean buckley.

andrea jumped, bumping into charlie. he put his hands on her arms, steadying her as they all looked up to see buckleys face peering at them through the glass.

"these brazilian fire ants can teach you a lot about successful societal structure. you see, there's one queen in there, the rest are her dedicated worker ants. everybody pulls their weight, nobody complains." he glances at them, making sure they're listening. "there's harmony and growth, same here at eden hall. only you are the workers, the backbone."

russ chuckled. "and you're the queen?"

the kids tried to hold back their laughter.

soon enough, they were given their schedules, making their way to their classes. her teachers were strict, and she wondered if that was a high school thing, or just an eden hall thing.

history was the only class she had with most of her friends. she sat behind charlie, who sat behind fulton.

"it's been said that the present is to the past like a dwarf on the shoulders of a giant." the history teacher said, holding a toy gnome and a thick book in hand.

"if the dwarf holds his seat, he can, indeed, see further than the giant."

charlie turned around his seat to face andrea, making a show of rolling his eyes. she grinned, exaggerating a yawn.

"but beware," the teacher said. "if the dwarf should grow careless, and forget his place." he put the gnome on fulton's desk, before slamming the book down on top of it.

he looked fulton dead in the eyes. "history is a giant. get ready to ride."

the bell rang eventually, dismissing them for lunch. the halls were crowded as they pushed through, andrea holding onto a pile of textbooks she'd gotten from her classes.