eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN: time to play pretend

play pretend

That night, coach bombay was packed with photoshoots and events, meaning he wouldn't check in on them for a while. it also meant that curfew suddenly seemed optional.

connie had gone to see guy, while julie had left to sight see, dragging luis and dwayne with her.

as she sat alone in her room, contemplating going and bugging adam, a knock on the door tore her from her thoughts.

she stood, walking over and opening it to find fulton and dean standing on the other side.

"wanna sneak out?"

that was all it took to get her out of her room, the trio walking down the streets that were lit up by hanging lights and neon signs.

they had just left the cinema, after having snuck into a movie and deciding halfway through that it was too boring. now they walked the streets, looking for something to do.

"look, ice cream!" fulton said, pointing to the sign a few steps ahead of them, a dainty little ice cream shop in the plaza.

andrea stepped forward, walking towards the shop before being quickly pulled back, dean holding a hand over her mouth as he shushed her.

the three hid behind a thick cement pole, peeking in front of the ice cream shop. andrea was confused, not understanding what they were looking at. when she saw it, her jaw almost dropped.

dean uncovered her mouth, trusting her to stay quiet and not give them away. there in front of them, ice cream in hand, was coach bombay on what looked like a date with a woman from the iceland team; andrea was pretty sure she was their trainer.

"wait a minute, i thought iceland was covered with ice?" andrea heard gordon ask, bringing his ice cream to his mouth.

the woman laughed. "iceland? no! it's green!"

she couldn't hear the rest of the conversation as the adults got further away. andrea deflated, hoping it wasn't what it looked like. she felt betrayed, and at the same time, she felt guilty for feeling betrayed.

as the two got far enough away, they stepped out of their hiding place. "great coach we've got." dean spat, walking off in the direction they'd come from.

andrea sighed and followed after him, fulton right behind her. the rest of the night was spent silently in her room, her mind swarmed with thoughts of what she had seen.

          Early the next morning, andrea found herself in the change room, dressing in her equipment for the game against iceland.

as she tied her skates, her stomach was a nervous mess. she was nervous to see coach bombay, but somehow, as he entered the room, it was even worse than she thought.