eight

CHAPTER EIGHT: the calm before the storm

           The team was gathered around a long table, eating breakfast before they left to fly out to the junior goodwill games. don tibbles had told them he had a surprise, which she assumed was the stand covered with a red sheet to the left of the table.

andrea sat between julie and adam, the two girls engaging in conversation as adam watched andrea talk, listening intently to both girls with a smile on his face.

"-and then one of our old teammates knocked him down, but the goal still went in!" andrea finished, recounting the story of their peewee win to julie, who nodded along.

andrea turned to adam. "i was so worried, you know."

adam smiled, and he was sure his heart was beating so loud that she could hear it. he took her hand partly to reassure her, and party because he wanted to. "don't worry, andy. im fine."

charlie watched them from down on the other side of the table. guy, who sat beside him, followed his gaze. "whatcha looking at, charlie?"

charlie snapped his eyes away, looking at guy and then down to his food, stirring his yogurt cup around with his spoon. "nothing."

guy debated on whether or not he should say anything, before speaking up again. "you have a thing for andrea, huh?"

charlie vehemently shook his head. "no, no i just... i mean, don't get me wrong, she's funny, and i like it when she gets flustered and pretends she's angry at me, she's, like, really good at hockey, not to mention she's really pretty and-"

guy cuts him off. "and you like her."

"yeah." charlie gives him a smile that is a mix of sheepishness, embarrassment, and admission. "but apparently she hates me."

guy looked around to make sure nobody was listening, leaning a bit closer to charlie. "just between me and you, i don't think she hates you anymore."

charlie sat up straighter. "really? she told you that?"

guy hesitated. "well... no. she definitely used to dislike you, but lately she seems... i don't know, she just seems to tolerate you more."

charlie nods, taking this in as his gaze falls on her and adam again. she's back in her conversation with julie, when fulton jokes from across from her. she points an accusatory finger at him, saying something that charlie can't hear, earning laughs from those around her. adam is just staring down at her with a smile on his face, looking lost in thought.

"do you... do you think she and banks like each other?" charlie asks guy, hoping for a second opinion that will make him feel better.

guy watched them for a second. "i mean, they've been best friends forever. it does kind of look like he likes her..."