twenty-one

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: jealousy, jealousy

          Varsity practice was much different than the practices she'd had with the ducks. at least she had adam, her drill partner for most of the partner drills.

practice came to an end, and andrea and adam walked beside each other into the change room. she almost ran into rick's back as he came to a stop a few steps into the door.

looking up, she saw why he'd stopped. the whole room looked like it had been frozen; it was all solid, with what looked like frost all over it. she quickly realized this was the result of liquid nitrogen that had probably been stolen from the science room.

everyone looked around, silently gawking in confusion at their things. andrea walked over to where her things were kept, cautiously tapping her now frozen varsity jacket.

it fell to the floor, shattering at the impact. her teammates looked at her, sharing the same shock she was wearing on her face. who would have done this?

she noticed cole staring at the ceiling, gesturing silently for them all to look up. andrea tilted her head back, peering up at ceiling.

varsity sucks ice! was written at the top. as the team read the not-so vulgar insult, rick looked like he was fuming.

"ducks." he spat, before punching his jacket as it, too, shattered.

the ducks couldn't have done this, could they? if they did, why target she and adam too? what had they done to the ducks other than unwillingly be sent to a different team?

andrea quickly tore off her equipment, storming angrily out of the room. she didn't notice rick following after her until his hand aggressively grabbed her shoulder, turning her towards him.

"you know anything about this?" he asked, raising an eyebrow angrily.

she scoffed. "why would i do that? if it was me, why were adam and i's things messed up too?"

he shrugged. "let me think. maybe so that we didn't know you were in on it?"

"well, i wasn't. im not feeling too happy knowing that my friends did this to me, and this isn't helping, so can you screw off?" she spat.

he studied her for a second, before releasing his grip on her. he sighed. "i believe you."

she didn't care too much if he believed her, but she supposed it was nice that one less person would be angry at her.

"look, i'm sorry for accusing you. why don't you let me take you out for food?" he proposed, most of his anger seemingly pushed down for the moment.

how was she to know that this was his form of revenge? of course, he thought the girl was pretty, so getting food with her was a win in his books either way, but the fact that charlie conway, captain duckie, would be infuriated? it was definitely a plus.