twenty-five

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: is that coach bombay?

They didn't have much time to enjoy the newfound happiness of finally being official boyfriend and girlfriend. hell, they hadn't even had time to tell anyone.

hans had passed away. though andrea didn't know the man too well, he was a big part of the ducks. she knew charlie had been especially close with the man, and it hurt to see him upset.

the funeral was sad. all of the ducks dressed in black, mourning over the man who had made a big impact on the team.

partway through, as andrea glanced away from the casket, her breath stopped. walking over to the service was none other than gordon bombay.

andrea didn't know what to feel. instead, she ignored it, looking back to the service. she didn't have time to decide whether or not she was happy to see her old coach.

still, she felt bad. bombay looked rough, and it was obvious he'd been crying. she looked up, catching his eye. she sent him a sad smile that said everything he needed to hear; and he sent one back.

charlie walked off, andrea quickly following after him.

          Andrea stayed over at charlie's that night, knowing he wouldn't want to be alone. they had come back from the funeral, changing out of their dark clothes and into pajamas more suited for sleeping.

they didn't speak much. having andrea just there was more than enough. they'd crawled into his bed, him wrapping an arm around her waist as she intertwined their hands.

it didn't take too long for either of them to fall asleep. his arm secure around her and his head tucked into her shoulder, it was the best sleep either of them had gotten in a long time.

until the alarm went off. she opened her eyes, squinting as she got used to the light. she felt charlie wake up behind her, lifting his head to glance at the alarm clock.

he reached over her, turning it off before frowning. "six am?"

she quietly groaned. "why'd you set your alarm for six am?"

"i didn't." charlie said.

confused, she turned over to face charlie, but was quickly startled by a third voice in the room. "i did."

andrea yelped, almost falling off of the bed. she and charlie looked over, finding gordon bombay sitting on charlie's desk chair, looking at the two of them.

"good morning, you two." he said. "charlie, i thought we'd spend the day together, get an early start. come on."

charlie sighed, laying back down and pulling andrea back to him. "go away. hans is gone, and i want to be alone." he paused looking down at andrea. "i mean, we want to be alone."

"charlie, i know you're going through a rough time. i understand." bombay said. "not a day goes by that i don't think about you two and the ducks."

"there are no ducks." charlie argued. "orion split us apart. you know, you left us with a real jerk."

"yeah, plus adam and i aren't even on their team. we're stuck with the stupid varsity guys." andrea added, her face shoved into the pillow as she tried not to be embarrassed.

bombay looked confused. "orion? well, maybe you don't know the whole story. come on, get dressed. let's go."

charlie looked at bombay like he had three heads. "go away." he insisted.

bombay shook his head. "can't do that. come on."

"come on, charlie." andrea said. "just go with him?"

"no." charlie said, closing his eyes and laying down.

coach bombay did not like that answer. he went to the side of the bed, lifting up the mattress and dumping them on the floor.

andrea groaned. "coach, im trying to help you here, really. why'd you have to dump me, too?"

bombay smiled at her. "come on. get dressed."

he left the room so charlie could change. the boy sighed, until andrea began to stand from the floor, stretching as she did. she pulled charlie up, grabbing some clothes from his closet and tossing them at him.

she grabbed a hoodie and sweatpants for herself, as it was either his clothes or her funeral clothes. she walked into the bathroom, changing before reentering the bedroom. she smiled softly upon seeing charlie had given in and changed too.

they went back out to where coach bombay was waiting, the three stepping outside together.

andrea looked to charlie. "i'll see you later, okay?" then, she turned to bombay. "make sure he doesn't get in trouble. he's very prone to that lately."

bombay smiled at her as charlie jokingly rolled his eyes. "will do, jones. i'll keep a close eye on him."

she smiled, turning to walk off. she only took two steps before charlie grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"forgetting something?" he asked, before pressing a quick kiss to her lips. andrea was sure her face was bright red as she walked off, refusing to look at coach bombay. she didn't mind kissing charlie, but in front of coach bombay? that man was like her father!

she could hear bombay say, "woah. when did that happen?" as she walked off, smiling and shaking her head.

but gordon bombay was kind of right. when did that happen?

AUTHOR SPEAKS!

filler chapter af