twenty-six

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: we have an attorney?

attorney?

Maybe it was a coincidence, and maybe it wasn't. but after she had parted from charlie and coach bombay, andrea had taken to rollerblading around, until she stumbled upon something that made her heart wrench.

she found the ducks playing street hockey at what was meant to be an outdoor basketball court, but if you stuck a hockey net at each end, you couldn't tell the difference.

she felt a little sad, seeing her friends who barely talked to her anymore doing something they all used to do together. taking a deep breath, she skated over to them.

they didn't notice her, until she coughed to get their attention. they all turned to look at her, different expressions across all of the faces. some were happy, some looked guilty, and some even looked nervous.

"you, uh... you guys have room for an extra player?" she cautiously asked.

slowly, all her friends began to grin. it was guy who skated forward, a big dopey smile on his face. "i suppose we could. but only if you're on my team."

she laughed. "that's a deal i'd be willing to take."

and for what was probably hours, though time flies when you're having fun, andrea laughed and skated and fell with her teammates for what felt like the first time in a long time.

her smile only got wider when she noticed coach bombay and charlie standing and watching them.

the rest of the team seemed to notice the two standing as dwayne said, "hey, it's coach bombay!"

"damn, conway, what took you so long?" russ asked.

andrea skated forwards, motioning for the two to join them. "come on!"

and so, the two men joined, the ducks playing street puck just as they had for years. andrea couldn't help the smile on her face as she finally felt what she had been missing the past month; the feeling of being a duck.

          Andrea was shocked to hear the news that the school board of alumni was holding a meeting to discuss the removal of the ducks scholarships.

the next day, she stood with her team in the board meeting room, varsity team standing across from them with the board seated at their long table.

she grasped charlie's hand next to her, squeezing for reassurance; though she wasn't sure if she was reassuring him or herself.

"do i have a motion for reconsideration?" the dean asked.

none of the board members raised their hands.

the dean nodded. "i'm sorry, coach, but unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."

coach orian sighed. "then you leave us no choice... but to bring in our attorney."