Chapter 9 - An Ominous Fate

Writing format:

[[Ciel/Raphael/Great Sage]]

{Skills or Abilities}

{{VOTW}}

#Whisper/Mumble#

"Dialogue"

"Telepathic Dialogue"

Internal Monlogue/Emphasis

Loud

________________________________________________________________________________

In the Ogre Village...

A troop of soldiers are lined up at the border of the village. The air is thick with tension, and the faces of the soldiers are filled with a mix of fear, and anger. Fear that they might be facing their greatest foe yet, and anger that that foe, is mere orcs. Indeed, how could a lesser race such as orcs challenge the ogre clan, one of the strongest races inhabiting the Jura Forest!? But only a fool would not acknowledge the danger facing the ogre village, which runs the risk of being stampeded by an army of 200,000 orcs.

Fortunately for the ogres, a scout happened to spot the approaching army from a distance. The chief, upon hearing the news, immediately summoned the village elders, who reached a unanimous conclusion... an Orc Lord has been born.

The entire village is now aware of the calamity that approaches their small settlement, that will surely crush them easily. Even the prideful ogre race admits that. But still, none of them chose to flee. They will stand their ground, and face the orcs head on in battle.

The ogres had formulated an elaborate battle plan to combat the orcs: A forward group of ranged fighters will whittle down the numbers of the orcs, while simultaneously retreating to outside the range of the orc army. After that, the orcs will be forced into a siege on the ogre village. The hill of which the village is built on was lined with defenses, walls and barricades dotted the grassland, and the warriors of the ogre clan lie waiting from within the defenses, prepared to use any and all advantages their wooden barricades will provide them. The ogres have no hope of defeating the orcs, that much is obvious. The ogre clan only hopes to whittle down the numbers of the orcs enough that whichever scoundrel commands the army will retreat. A battle of attrition.

The plan was set, and the ogre's were almost confident that they might win. The anticipation was clear.

But the battle never came. The soldiers, from on top of the hill, watched the dust storm in the distance shift. They were confused, what was going on? Were the orcs trying to surround them? Or are the orcs simply unwilling to fight? Many began to speculate, but confirmation finally arrived from the units at the edge of the defensive lines.

The orcs are avoiding the ogre village.

However, there was still a possibility that the orcs were trying to attack from behind, so the ogres stayed on guard.

Through the next week, they watched the dust storm in the distance slowly move south, then curve back, returning to their initial trajectory, marching to the west.

Needless to say, the ogres rejoiced. They needn't sacrifice their own to fight the orcs, and they needn't risk being subjugated by the orc army. However, the chief and the elders have a different opinion. It is very likely that the orc army is headed towards a specific target first, perhaps a more powerful settlement, before returning to subjugate the entire forest, because the Orc Lord avoiding the ogre village for no reason seems too unlikely. No, its absolutely impossible.

Despite currently bearing no hostilities towards the ogre clan, the orc army will definitely become a threat to the ogre clan, no, the entire Jura Forest and it's inhabitants.