Chapter 1

August has finally finished unpacking everything with the help of thing. "Your help is most appreciated thing." Thing moves his ring finger forward and moves in a way that seems to say "it's no problem" Thing hides behind a wall as someone knocks on August's house door.

August opens the door, welcoming the person with his emotionless face. "Hi!" The blonde girl before him smiles filled with energy "I'm your neighbor Caroline. My mom and I live to the left of you." She tells him. August nods at the information "May I ask, why you are here?" He asks her. She pushes her arms out, holding a pie. "A little welcome gift." August takes the pie from her "It's most appreciated." Caroline nods.

"Hey, if you're interested there's a party tonight, the mayor died so everyone's paying their respect. Maybe swing by?" Caroline suggests. August stares at her "I will consider." She smiles "great, tonight will be a great chance for you to put yourself out there." He closes the door. Thing sends August a look. "Don't give me that look." He advices thing. A letter slides under the door.

August's grunts taking the pan out of the oven. He looks down at the cake. "No burnt crisps, no dryness. Cakes all set." He observes. He places it onto a cake stand and places a dome cover on top of it. August turns around to take off his apron. He spins back around as thing tries moving the cover of the cake. "Don't... even think about it." Thing retreats into a drawer. August takes a bath, then dresses nicely in shades of yellow and black.

He arrives at the address on the letter Caroline slid under his door. "This is the place." August states. Thing gets into August's backpack as August grabs it. He gets out of the car placing the bag on his back. He gently picks up the cake. He walks up to the door and finds Caroline walking to the door as well. "Hey, you made it." She exclaims with excitement. "Yes, I decided to put myself 'out there' as you said" Caroline smiles "I'm glad you did." She responds.

August's plan was to give the mayor's family the cake and leave, but August has somehow gotten lost. He looks around the hall before opening a door and entering a room. He steps inside the room running into someone literally. "I'm sorry." The man apologizes. "Your apology is not needed." August responds taking the person's hand. The man lifts him up from the ground "I'm Stefan." Stefan introduces himself. "Are you new to town?"

August sighs "I'm August, and yes I am new to town." Stefan smiles. "Well, if you ever need a tour guide of the town. You can find me at Mysic Falls high." August nods in acknowledgement. "Hopefully, this makes me your first new friend."August looks at him with his signature emotionless face. "Not really. If everyone became my friend just because they were nice to me, you would be my second friend in Mystic Falls, after Caroline." Stefan chuckles "ofcourse you met Caroline." August sighs "she wears such bright colors, it's almost blinding." Stefan chuckles.

"Now, if you would excuse me, I need to find a way out of this mansion." August excuses himself. Stefan chuckles "you're lost?" August nods "yes I am." August states nonchalantly. "I could escort you out, if you'd like me to." Stefan offers. "Your help isn't really needed, but I will take you up on the offer." Stefan smiles as he leads August out of the Lockwood Mansion. "Thank you Stefan." August turns and heads to his car. "See you around!" Stefan exclaims "Hopefully, we won't" August whispers, unaware that Stefan can hear him.

August gets to his car. He gets inside and starts the car. He glances down at his phone. He looks up, finding Caroline by his car window. August stared at her with his nonchalant eyes. "Hey!" He screws the window down "you just keep appearing, don't you?" He teases. Caroline chuckles "Sorry to bother you, but my mom sort of left me here." August can already predicts what's next. He turns to look at the road. Caroline remains by his window.

He glances at her "Aren't you going to get in?" He asks, and Caroline smiles. She gets in and turns to August "thanks for this."

August remains neutral "it's not a problem, you live beside me." He replies.

The ride was quiet mainly because Caroline fell asleep. August nudges her awake "You fell asleep in my car" He notices "what if I was a kidnapper?" Caroline smiles "you're to kind for that." August swints his eyes "How can you think of my as kind, as I have not shown any sign of emotion, your deduction is irrational." He tells her.

He heads inside his house. He turns around as he gets to the door, watching as Caroline enters her house. He goes inside, releasing Thing from his bag. "I sense impending doom in her future." He tells thing. Thing gestures are you sure? August smiles "a magical doom, that I will love." He responds. August knows about the vampires sensing the darkness around Stefan or the other dark presence he sensed at the Lockwood mansion.

"Who knew magic, could sense things beyond its range?" August whispers with a smirk. Thing shakes in a gesture of shaking his head.