Chapter 4

August makes a face at the box. There isn't much inside it. "Any luck?" August asks, Elena shakes her head. "There's nothing in here about Katherine, that we don't already know" Elena replies.

"She was always private." Damon comments "Kept to herself... so it's not all that suprising." Damon shrugs a little. "Hey guys, check this out." Alaric comments grabbing everyone's attention.

August moves across the room, to join Alaric and Vanessa who are reading a dusty old book. "How old is this thing?" Damon asks "Not as ancient as you?" August whispers with a smirk "I heard that." August turns to Damon with a death glare "No. You didn't" Damon nods and gulps.

"There's no record of werewolf mythology in Mystic Falls." Vanessa admits. August scoffs" What are you talking about?" He asks "The Lockwoods are werewolves." Elena turns to August "I'm sorry the Lockwoods are actual werewolves?" August nods.

"There are some records of some lesser known legends. Everything from Scandinavian skin-walkers to the Marechal de Retz." Vanessa gives them a book with drawings. "Tonartsliitsii Metslii, which roughly translates into the 'curse of sun and the moon" August listen interests. He will admit he loves a good history lesson.

"It's native american.'' Alaric suggests making August scoff "It's aztec.'' He corrects Alaric.

"It's explains one origin of the werewolf curse traced through Virgina."Vanessa starts before inhaling "Short story: 600 years ago, the aztecs were plagued by werewolves and vampires. They terrorized the countryside,made farming and hunting impossible. Until an Aztec shaman cursed them." August rolls his eyes ''so everyone thinks'' Damon turns to him with a sarcastic smile ''Care to add more details.'' Damon suggests'' A powerful witch cursed her tribe when they killed her, linking them to the moon.'' Damon nods ''And how do you know this?'' 

August smirks ''Spirits talk'' Damon turns back to Vanessa ''Can they control the transformation?'' Damon asks.''If they could, it wouldn't be considered a curse now would it?'' August questions making Damon roll his eyes.

"Werewolves will attack humans, but instinct and centuries of rivalry have hardwired them to hunt their prey of choice: vampires." Vanessa speaks up.

"Well,if werewolves were hunting vampires, I would know about it." Damon argues.

August shakes his head "To think, he's a hundred and something years old." August scoffs. "Vampires hated werewolves to a near extinct point."

"Why would they do that?" Elena counters

"To protect themselves. Legend has it that a werewolf bite is fatal to vampires." Vanessa answers. Elena, Alaric and Damon seem concerned by the news.

Later; Elena is looking in a box and finds a picture of Katherine. She picks it up, before she turns to Vanessa who lingers close by.

"Hey, have time done any research on doppelgangers?" Elena asks her.

"Well, the word means a lot of different things to different cultures, but typically a doppelganger is a living breathing double of one's self."

"Did Isobel have anything that explained the link between me and Katherine?" Elena wonders.

"That's all she had on her, unfortunately. But, I can tell you doppelgangers usually torment the person the look like, trying to undo their lives. It's not exactly uplifting." Vanessa answers. Elena raises an eyebrow, but sighs in agreement.

Later on, August arrives home. He opens the house door, to be met with silence. August warily looks around. "Thing." He calls out.

Thing slides down a wall frame. Thing hands August a note. Thing crawls up August's body, settling on his left shoulder. "Is she sure she can control herself?"

Thing makes a nodding motion and August sighs "If you think so." He mutters.

August senses magical waves in the air. He follows the waves to their source. He picks up the crystal ball. Morticia appears in the crystal.

"How are you doing death star?" She asks with a smile.

August shrugs "It's ok here. There are vampires,witches and werewolves."

Morticia gasps and sends him a look"Sounds like the life you always wanted. Magic and Chaos." August smirks.

"You know me well Mother." Morticia shrugs "I am your mother."

Her expression shifts to seriousness "Wednesday has been expelled from yet another school." August smirks. "That's my girl." Morticia sends him a look, August shrugs.

"Your father and I are sending her to Nevermore." August perks up."I don't know why she wasn't sent their in the first place." August comments.

"Wednesday hasn't been the same since you left." Morticia tells him.

"Now, if Wednesday so much as steps a foot on your doorstep alert me immediately." Morticia urges him.

August smirks "Well, when Wednesday has a taste of nevermore she won't want to leave." Morticia smiles "Hopefully." She hangs up. August rolls his eyes. Morticia knows August will allows be on Wednesday's side. If Wednesday does show up, August will gladly let her stay.

August places the crystal ball above his wardrobe. He lays in bed and can't help but wonder. "Why did I go to Duke University?" He asks. Thing makes motions and August scoffs "I don't love Stefan." August denies. Thing makes an unconvinced motion.

August scoffs and pushes Thing onto the floor. August turns on his side and smiles.