Chapter 26

Follow the leader. August felt as if they were playing follow the leader. Jenna walks into the Grill, with Caroline, Bonnie and Elena behind her. August was at the back of the line. Being the male they tasked him with standing at the back of the line. He could care less. Just as Caroline said. A band is present playing live music. Everyone is smiling, giggling and moving their bodies to the beat. Except August. He wasn't feeling dancing right now. Jenna spots Alaric. She sighs and rolls her eyes.

"I need a drink." Jenna walks away. Her hair bouncing behind her with every angry step. August then noticed Matt walking over. He knows Caroline will attempt talking to him. 

"Hey Matt." Caroline smiles as she greets him. Matt merely walks pass her. He walks to a girl not to far from the group and takes her order.

"You're all held back by morality but I'm not. If you want him dead just say the word." August tries his best to contain his suprisingly new anger. The feeling was infuriating but also a little powering. He clenches his fists. Waiting for Caroline's response.

"It's fine Gus." Caroline smiles.

"Things just got real awkward." Bonnie smiles sheepishly at her own comment.

"Tell me about it." Elena adds. Jenna and Alaric have what August deduces is an argument as Jenna can be seen marching angrily away from him.

"He said the ball's in your court." Bonnie stresses.

"Yeah." Caroline throws her hands up. "But, I can't do anything about it."

"Why not?" Bonnie stresses. "All you do is talk about how much you care about him."

"I'm with Bonnie." August announces. "Everytime you think of love, you think of him."

"Yeah, but I'm still keeping so many secrets." Elena is observing Alaric.

"Alaric's in the same boat with Jenna. And maybe that's our mistake." Elena shakes her head. "We're trying to protect the people we love by keeping them out of it, but in the end, we're hurting them anyway."

"That's actually the first and only moment of your existence I can tolerate and will remember." August interjects. Caroline looks over to the band as the stop. Having finished their performance. Caroline takes off her jacket.

"What are you doing?" Elena questions. Caroline hands her jacket to August and walks through the crowd. "Where are you going? Where is she going?" 

"To win herself a man." August replies. Caroline walks onto the stage. Microphone. Caroline stands behind the microphone.

"Hey, everybody." Caroline speaks into the microphone. Jenna joins the trio in the crowd. "Let's hear it for the band." Everyone in the Grill except August and the girls start clapping and cheering. Loudly. "Aren't they awesome?"

"This isn't gonna end well." Jenna downs her shot.

"So there's this guy. And uh--" The microphone creates feedback. August cringes at the sound. "He told me to tell him how I feel about him." Caroline chuckles. "Like it's so easy." She licks her lips. "Just because I talk a lot doesn't mean I always know what I'm actually talking about."

"Ew. This is so cringe." August comments. He starts texting Damon on his phone. He looks at Bonnie and Jenna's face. "Bonnie, Jenna you look how I feel. Anyways, tell Care I'm exhausted. I'm going home. She knows where to find me." He hands her jacket to Elena and leaves. Not wanting to experience or feel Caroline's anxiety.
....................................

Anger. Hatred. Determination. August could sense the emotions flowing off of Jonas. He knew those emotions would only lead to bad news. So, here is August. Sitting in his car. Debating whether to leave or go inside and help the skeletal doppelganger. He's about to leave but Thing shows him a picture of Caroline. Reminding him that his blonde friend is inside.

"The things I do for frienship." August sighs. He steps out of the car and walks into the Grill. And just in time to. There's fire and screaming. Caroline in pain and Jonas on the floor. He pushes Caroline off of himself and then stands up, leaving Caroline in the floor in pain. Matt notices and goes over to help her. He pushes Jonas up against a pillar.

"Get away from her." Caroline remains screaming in pain.

"Matt, no!" Jonas grabs a beer bottle beside him. He breaks it and goes to stab Matt with it. The glass is sent flying out of his hands. Shattering onto a wall. August glares at Jonas.

"What was--?" 

"We don't have time for questions get Caroline out of here." Matt helps Caroline out and August glares at Jonas. "You're going to pay for hurting her." 

"Get out of my way demon."

"I might be a demon but I have feelings to." Jonas tries to light August on fire but he absorbs the fire into a flame he gathers in his hand. "Pretty." August sends it back to him. Burning the man alive. "Guess you and Luka are son and father. Both dying from fire." August gasps. "Talk about a healthy father-son relationship!" August smirks. Then begins cackling. "It's as they say. The apple never falls far from the tree." August goes over to the exit. The door opening for him. He steps outside and the doors close themselves.