Saudade!

Prompt : Vashma is away, at her aunt's place for a week. Set in 1946.

Uday cannot believe that Vashma had spent an entire day without replying to his message. Last night he had delivered a secret letter to her room, with the help of a hockey ball but she hasn't replied to it yet. It had never happened before. She has always come to the window and called him names in anger, eventually getting cool and he made it up to her.
She is so grumpy, Uday thought perching his head, in front of the photo frame of his mother, on the only wooden reading table present in his room. He glanced at the picture thinking about Vashma. Though no one can ever come closer to his bebe but there's something about Vashma that reminds Uday of his mom whenever he sees his best friend. Is it her eyes? Or is it the way she cares for him, protects him? He doesn't know he's tired of trying to look for an answer to it.

Wait! What if she is tired of his teasings, his constant mockery? What if she is in no mood to talk to him? What he will do then? He has no other friend. No confidant. No home. No one. Except for Vashma.

Uday has realised this that he has no one but Vashma who actually makes him feel home. He still remembers vividly how she put her little hand on his shoulders, when she saw Brij beating him with a stick for the first time. She was innocent before, and she couldn't stand the sight of her chacha ji hurling insults at his own son so badly.

I am a bad son. A 10 year old Uday chanted, holding his head in his hands, pulling out his hairs in agony and crying bitterly. He missed his mother.

It is not your mistake that he can't look out for himself, that your mother is no more. It is not your mistake Uday. Vashma had said. She was so understanding and mature at the age of seven. Uday looked up when she placed her hand on his shoulders, relaxing his muscles under her touch.

But he was joking!!! And Vashma knows that I love teasing her. Uday thought as he came back to reality.
"Itni zaraa si gal te kaun naraaz hoke beth jata hai." Vashma had come to meet him two days back at the hockey field. But Uday, as usual had a playful banter with her and ended up making her run away.

"Uday. Uday." She called her name across the field. Upon seeing him standing near the net, she came closer, wandering like a butterfly. She was wearing her burkha. Vashma beamed a big smile at Uday that reached her ears. She was extremely happy.

"Kya hua? Tu idhar kaise?" Uday lowered himself to her height.

"Bas ese hi. Tujhe dekhne ka man Kiya to aagyi." Vashma said raising her brows and shrugging her shoulders.

"Mai koi Dilli ya Amritsar hoon, jo dekhne ka man kia?" Uday held her by elbow and raised her a little. As usual. They are used to this mutual pinning and physicality. They love doing it.

"Hayee! Kaash hota, kam se kam dekhne layak to hota." Vashma sighed dramatically, trying to keep up with their usual nonsense though she was in a different mood that day.

"To kyu bhatak rhi hai idhar?" Uday held and twisted Vashma's hand behind her back and she flinched. Bickering is always fun with him, but not today. She was pissed.

"Tujhe humesha mujhse ladna hota haina Uday?" Her eyes looking sharply at him. She was hurt? Did he cause her pain? Uday thought.

"Nahi." Uday let go of her hand, frowning a little "Chal ab bataa bhi kyu aai hai?" He added, trying to cover up the guilt in his eyes, with rudeness. Though he was never harsh on her. He can't be.

"Sevaiyaa banai thi.." Vashma again jumped, fisting both her hands adorably and Uday smiled ear to ear.
"Teri ammi ne!? Oye kasam se keh raha hoon din bana dia tune mera." He didn't let her speak as Vashma took out the lunch box from her bag.