Infamy!

Prompt: What if Vashma had denied Uday to not come back to him.

"Baaji! Noor baaji!" Naureen jerked Vashma by her shoulders, who was lost in her thoughts.

"Huh? Haan. Bolo." Vashma stuttered as she got surprised.

"Do gold medal. Phir se de gaya vo Uday Amina bai ko." She said and Vashma's heart sank hearing the news. Ever since they have had this argument where she denied him to come with him, Uday has been continuously coming to her brothel, paying the price to Amina Bai and spends time with infamous version of her - Noor Mahal. If not Vashma, then Noor. But Uday wouldn't leave her side. Daily, she reluctantly shows up to him, for Amina bai doesn't take a no when it comes to her business.

"Oye nahi aaungi tere sath!" Vashma had yelled at the top of her voice the day he came to know about her profession, making Uday cry. He has been begging her to come with him and leave this world so that they can make a new one for themselves.

"Vashma! Vashma! Kabir mil jayega, uske liye tujhe yahan rehne ki zarurat nhi hai." He pleaded for the nth time. Vashma's heart broke listening to his cries. God will never forgive her for her cruelty, she thought.

"Baat samjh nahi aati tujhe Uday. Humari kahani, humara sath Lahore ke maidaano tak hi tha. Is kothe ki galiyon mein hum kabhi sath nhi ho sakte. Kabir jis din mil gaya, us din use tujhe dedungi, par mera vapis aana mumkin nahi hai."

"Oye kyun nahi hai mumkin. Sab mumkin hai. Tera ye Uday haina. Maine sab thik kar dena hai oye, tu bas meri baat maan ja Vashma." He had cried in front of her, and it wasn't a cake walk for her either, but some decisions are to be taken by any means. She had dirtied her hands in this ill famed occupation where she sells herself, her skills she was once proud of, on daily basis. She wears her anklets due to her misfortune, not by choice anymore.

"Uday aakhir kab tak tu ladta rahega is maashray se. Pehle dharm alag tha, ab to main poori ki poori alag hoon tujhse -"

"Vashma Baig ko Uday Sahani se koi alag nahi kar sakta-" Uday has said in rage. He could never tolerate anyone saying that Vashma is different to him. She is the soul to his body, beat to his heart. His dreams, his will, his strength , and his determination originate from within her. They can never be apart.

"-Tera naam Noor Mahal ke sath judega to duniya tujhe jeene nahi degi, na mujhe. Is se behtar hai ki kam se kam tu to apna sar utha kar jiye. Mujhe to aadat ho gayi hai aise jeene ki, is badnaam gali mein ab mera dam nahi ghut'ta." A single tear trickled down her red painted cheek. Uday had hardly seen her in such a loud makeup, which is attractive but at the same time appalling.

"Matlab tune nahi aana mere sath?" His fingers formed a fist as he lost his temper.

"keh Diya na, nahi aana." She replied.

"Thik hai." Uday rushed out with anger, which Vashma thought would subside with time. But might be, she underestimated Uday too much this time. He's not the shore, but the tide. Tide which can also cause tsunami. From that day till today, Uday constantly visits the brothel and pays money to meet her. When he ran out of money, he started paying with his gold medals, priceless trophies, hurting Vashma more. He wasn't realizing that he was shattering her dream of seeing him winning accolades for the country. He has been wasting himself and his caliber over something as worthless as her. He had entered the world of infamy, where there's no name, no respect, no shame and no mercy for anyone. It's been one month and people have already started calling him names. The only person who is happy about all this is Amina bai, for she is getting good money. She has been raising the prices, since Uday wants to buy Vashma's time at any cost, Naureen tells her. Vashma fears the day, when Uday would completely run out of his possessions, because Amina wouldn't take a second to oust him from the brothel.