Final Farewells

When we were kids, we hand painted strawberries on a swing. Every moment was so precious, then. I'm still kicking, I'm daydreaming on a strawberry swing

I brushed my hair in the mirror, with my hand jittering every time I thought of memories of him. It was eating me alive, call me weak or whatever but that's me. "Try to believe. Try, Just try." I sang to myself, slowly as a smile is forced upon my face. The car ride home was silent earlier and right now, I just needed to gather my thoughts. I guess time just wanted to quickly start now, time for him to leave for another business trip.

I honestly don't know how to react, my emotions aren't all over the place, it's just that I was confused. My hand was now jittering more than ever. I put the brush down hastily and rested my body against the basin. I breathed in and out. "It's a better future" I repeated to myself.

I walked across the bathroom with each strode I took, taking off a layer of clothing. I have no time to be upset, I had a month to be mad at him and now I have no time at all. It's better to take the moments by the collar and love every second.

I dipped my foot in the bath, adjusting to the temperature. I smiled, climbing into the bath. Craig was packing his things. In the hospital, it was silent just like the car. I just wanted to grab my things and go. I have to make the most of this time. After all I came to Detroit, expecting ups and downs. I sank into the bath, relaxing all over my body and the water in level with my chin. Life is not perfect. Well it was.

~~

I look at my strawberry red nails tapping on my pineapple and coconut juice. I was dressed in a grass skirt and a coconut bra. I looked up at Craig and smiled. "She always out for this long?" I giggled, slowly facing her. "Nope" he simply said, moving his shades. I looked around, sipping on my straw. His house was completely empty except for us three. Parents at work and Jovante at basketball practice.

We had walked to Kaliyah's (Ka-lee-yah) school straight after ours. She was bouncing up and down, all excited when she saw us. She swung by gripping on our arms, and then hopping on each square of the street, and then singing, and then asking for apple juice, and then putting a foot on one of Craig's and I's, trying to walk and then slowly sleeping in Craig's arms right before reaching the front porch. The energy of a toddler!

"I had to stay with her last night having a tea party with Buttons, her and Coco" Craig chuckled, looking at her. "How did she get your dog to stay" I asked, looking at her resting her head on Coco as they both slept. "You do not want to know" he said, shaking his head.

Kaliyah was bummed yesterday because she found out they couldn't go on holiday this time. I know this because I was in Craig's room, watching Barbie with Kaliyah. Mr Crippen came in asking to speak to her and after that I heard her little legs scurry to her room. I remember before I was going to walk home, I went to her room to make sure she was okay. She was holding her teddy bear tightly with a little huff when she saw me. She shook her head and walked towards me with a bear trailing at her side. A little picture fell from her bed but only I saw.

"Is she okay now though?" I questioned. "She was fine this morning I guess" Craig sighed, putting on a smile. He had endless projects to do but he decided to cheer Kaliyah up. The reason why I am in this outfit. He sure did care about his family.

Kaliyah shuffled in her sleep before her eyes fluttered a few seconds later. She stretched out as the dog stayed at her side, now awake. She smiled as she took in the scenery. Her eyes wide, taking everything in. Craig hopped off his stool as I hopped off the sand covered counter. She rubbed her eyes running to the unicorn and then, to the latest Barbie doll underneath it.