Chapter 5

Charles is shooting with his brothers Andrew and Edward. Normally he hits his targets but today he was going at a rate of sixty percent.

"Hey, Charles what's gotten into you?" Edward asks his eldest brother.

"Nothing I just have a lot on my mind is all," Charles says waiting his turn.

"I know Eddie, it's the beautiful nanny of his that's taking up all his attention," Andrew says before taking his shot.

Charles scoffs, even though Andrew wasn't lying. Lately, all he can think about is Diana. Her soft voice has haunted him in his dreams. Her shyness makes her endearing. The skirts she wore only hinted at what incredible pair of legs she has. The last she outfit wore was a black top and matching skirt that showed her hourglass figure and she looked mesmerizing. The heels she wears sometimes are only icing on the cake.

Then there is her gentle caring nature towards his sons. Since Diana has come along he's seen a great change in William and Harry's behaviors. They seem happier than before, and more well-behaved. He likes she lets them have fun while still teaching them their lessons.

It's been a while since a woman had captured his attention like this. Since Margaret had died he never thought much about dating again. However, it would only be a matter of time before his parents suggest he find his future Queen.

"Hey earth to Charles," Andrew says bringing him out of his thoughts.

"What?"

"It's your turn," Andrew says.

"Oh," Charles replies stepping up to take his shot.

This time the target is released and he hits it.

"Well, looking at her I would say it's easy to get distracted too. She's a very beautiful woman," Edward says.

"Yes she is beautiful, I don't understand why Charles is acting as if he doesn't know how to talk to a woman," Andrew replies, "it's pretty obvious you're attracted to her."

"How?" Charles asks.

"The few times I have visited, when she comes around with the boys, your eyes follow her every move. I've caught you checking her out."

"As you said Diana is a beautiful woman. I may be older but I'm not dead. It's nothing wrong with appreciating a beautiful woman," Charles says looking away.

"Bullshit Charles! You like her, so what's holding you back?" Andrew asks.

"Is it the age difference?" Edward asks.

"I would say that's a part of it. She just turned nineteen last month and I'll soon be turning thirty-two, that's a significant difference. Besides I think she has a boyfriend," Charles replies the last word burns his tongue like acid.

"How do you know? Did you ask?" Andrew questions this time.

"No, I didn't ask. We have conversations, but it's mostly about Wills and Harry. I'm sure she has her long list of admirers."

"Yeah, and you being the Prince of Wales can use that to push your way to the front."

"I don't want to ruin her relationship. She could be in love."

"You don't even know if she has a boyfriend," Edward laughs.

Charles huffs, sometimes there are moments he wishes his brothers could get serious.

"Come on old man, don't get your feathers all ruffled. Why don't you ask her to be your plus one to Margo's party, and just go from there," Andrew suggests.

"Excellent idea Andy," Edward says before taking another sip of his drink.

"And take your time, I know it's been some time since you last courted a woman, but you don't need to rush," Andrew continues.

"Fine, I'll ask her to go with me to Margo's party," Charles replies.

He can't believe he's taking dating advice from his two younger brothers. It's crazy how much the tables have turned.

A few days later Charles paces back and forth in his study trying to find the right words to ask Diana to go with him to his Aunt's birthday party. When she arrived this morning, he asked her to stop by his study before she left for the day.

A gentle knock at the door and he knows it's Diana. She's the only one who doesn't knock like a complete maniac.

Clearing his throat he tells her to come in.

The door opens and she walks in. She looks gorgeous in a white blue, red, and green dress with a bow tied at her waist showing how tiny her waist is. Accenting the dress is a gold necklace with a large gold pendant resting at the base of her graceful neck. A neck he wouldn't mind covering with kisses and nibbling on the soft skin. Catching a whiff of her perfume, she smells heavenly as always.

"You wanted to see me, Your Highness?"

"Yes, please have a seat," Charles replies.

Without a word, Diana sits down focusing her blue eyes on him.

"Thank you for seeing me before you leave. I have an important question to ask you," he says pausing. For some reason, he feels like the words are stuck in his throat. It shouldn't be hard to ask such a simple question.

Diana looks at him, waiting for him to ask his question.

Come on Charles you can do this! Just ask her!  he says to himself.

"Your Highness?"

"I apologize, I got caught up in my own thoughts," he admits, "but I wanted to ask you if you would attend my Aunt's fiftieth birthday party with me?"

Diana looks at him waiting to make sure he isn't joking. After a moment and a smile doesn't come across his face, she realizes he's serious. She can't believe he is asking her to attend his Aunt's birthday party, especially with him. A party that is said to be the social event of the year.

"Oh Your Highness, I would love to," Diana replies smiling.

Charles smiles, "good, I hope your boyfriend won't mind you going with me."

"I don't have a boyfriend at the moment," Diana replies.

"I assumed a beautiful young lady such as yourself would already have someone special."

"No not yet, I haven't found the right one yet," Diana replies.

Inside he feels happy as he doesn't have to worry about destroying a relationship. Like his brother said, just him being the Prince of Wales is enough to keep other admirers away. Besides he feels like he just got the green light to proceed.

"Well the party is next week and it's formal, so you would need a gown to wear."

"Of course, is there anything else?"

"No, that will be all. Good night Diana," Charles says standing up.

"Good night your highness," Diana replies.

Diana curtsies before she turns and leaves.

Once she is gone he sits back down, inside he feels good. However, he still feels the need to err on the side of caution as the last thing he needs to be too forward and scare her away. He will take his time and at a decent pace pursue the shy temptress that has been haunting his dreams.