Chapter 15

Diana stands nervously as Charles talks to the gentlemen of the press. Only select members as well as tv stations were allowed to get an exclusive interview with the two of them. Earlier that morning it was announced the Prince of Wales is engaged to Lady Diana Spencer. Of course, this was only released after both families were informed of Diana's answer. Which was met with lots of congratulatory messages and celebrations.

Today is a busy day for them for they will be posing for photos, then an interview with ITN. Diana looks beautiful in a two-piece cobalt blue suit, and Charles is wearing a grey suit with a matching tie.

After posing for many photos it was now time for the interview.

"Are you ok, love?" Charles asks as they prepare for the interview with ITN

"I'm fine," Diana replies, "I'm just a little nervous."

"Don't be, everything will be alright," Charles replies reassuring her.

"Excuse me, Your Highness, we're ready whenever you are," the producer says to them.

"We'll be right there," Charles replies. Turning his attention back to Diana, "ready?"

"Yes."

They walk over to where they are supposed to stand. The producer begins with the first question when he gets the cue.

*ITN: What about your proposal your royal highness, how did that come about?

Charles: I asked Diana before she went to Australia, a few days before. I thought it would be a good idea that she was to think about it while she was in Australia. If she didn't like the idea she could say she did and if she didn't she could say she didn't. In fact, she said yes.

Diana: I said yes quite promptly

ITN: Must have been an agonizing few weeks, did you speak at all?

Charles: Yes we tried, but it was quite difficult. I tried to call her on one occasion, and I said can I speak to her. They said 'no we're not taking any calls.' I said this is the Prince of Wales speaking, and the reply was 'how do I know this is the Prince of Wales speaking?' You don't, but I am. Eventually, I got the number, but they said that the phone lines were tapped, which I found highly unlikely.

[Laughter]

ITN: May we have a look at your ring?

Diana: Yes, it's sapphire and diamond

[Camera zooms in on Diana's hand]

ITN: When were you given that?

Diana: The day before I left for Australia

ITN: But you have been wearing it?

Diana: No, I had it inside the box

ITN: When did you tell the Queen that this is what you wanted to do?