Chapter 24

For the last few days, Diana has been by Charles' side as they dealt with the passing of one of England's beloved Monarchs. On September sixth two thousand and twenty-two Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passed away quietly, going on to be with her beloved husband.

Diana held Charles as he grieved the loss of his mummy. As well as comforting their three adult children and six little grandchildren. The loss of a parent is something one never truly gets over. For Diana, it was a personal experience as she lost her father eleven years after she was married and then her mother less than a decade later.

Diana enters their bedroom to find Charles sitting on the side of the bed looking at a picture of his mother and him.

"Are you ok, darling?" She asks sitting down next to her husband of forty-one years.

"Yes, I'll be fine," Charles replies with a sniffle.

Diana wraps her arms around him, allowing him to rest his head on her chest. She places a gentle kiss on his temple and holds him tight.

Six months later...

"Well my love, in three months is our coronation," Charles says interlacing his fingers with Diana's as they walk through the garden at Highgrove.

"I know, are you ready?" Diana asks looking at her husband. A man who to this day still makes her heart race. Even though he's older and his hair has turned gray, in her eyes he's still the sexy debonair Prince she married years ago.

"I believe I should be asking you that question. You will be Queen, darling. May I add the most beautiful," Charles says placing a kiss on her cheek. At sixty-two she still looks beautiful, like the gorgeous woman who stole his heart.

"Thank you, darling," Diana blushes, "but I have you standing beside me so I'll be fine."

Charles smiles as they continue their walk. They take a seat at a bench and enjoy the quiet except for the birds in the distance. Diana cuddles with him.

"You know what today is don't you?" Charles asks breaking the silence.

"February twenty-fourth," Diana replies looking at her Apple Watch.

"Forty-two years ago today we announced our engagement," he says taking her left hand and kissing it right above her engagement ring.

Diana smiles as she remembers that day.

"I was so nervous that day, probably just as nervous as the day I interviewed with you for the nanny position," Diana replies remembering the events of that day, "posing for so many pictures, then the interview

"I was so nervous that day, probably just as nervous as the day I interviewed with you for the nanny position," Diana replies remembering the events of that day, "posing for so many pictures, then the interview."

"Yes, it was a busy day, but exciting. I finally got to tell the whole world about the woman I fell in love with."

Diana smiles and kisses Charles on the lips.

"I love you so much."

"Not as much as I love you," he replies this time making the kiss passionate.

They smile at each other and Diana blushes.

"Grandma, Grandpa," they hear little voices calling them indicating their grandchildren have arrived.

"We're coming," Charles calls out. Standing up, he reaches for his wife's hand.

"Shall we go see our grandchildren, my Queen," Charles says shooting his wife a wink.

"After you my handsome King," Diana purrs seductively.

The smile on his face could be seen for miles. He steals another kiss as they walk back to the house to pose for family portraits for their upcoming coronation.

After losing his beloved Margaret, Charles never thought he would find love again. Never imagined a shy beauty, coming to interview to be his son's nanny would take his breath away and steal his heart. Love always comes when you least expect it.

Now he was a Prince who is soon to be King and his shy girl who once was a nanny is soon to be his Queen. Not only Queen Consort of England, but the love and Queen of his heart ❤️

- Fin