Chapter 13

Charles sits at his desk thinking about how he will talk to William and Harry about Diana becoming an important part of their lives. Since coming back from Sandringham he has been thinking about proposing to Diana. He knows he's in love with her and she feels the same. She will be the perfect mother, princess, and queen. 

Earlier that day he informs Diana she can leave early so he can put William and Harry to bed. It gives him time to talk to his sons, as well as spend some time with them. He gets the boys into the bathtub and allows them to play before getting them into their nightclothes. After getting them settled he picks up two books to read to them before bed.

"Which book would you like for me to read tonight," Charles asks holding up two books.

"That one Papa!" both boys point at the same book.

"Alright, before I begin to read the book I need to talk to both of you," Charles says looking at his sons.

"Ok Papa," both boys reply giving their father their attention.

"I want to know how you feel about Ms. Spencer. I think she has been doing an excellent job, but  I wanted to get your opinion."

"She's great Papa! Ms. Spencer is always nice, and she lets us have fun and we still learn new things!" William says.

"We like her Papa! Can she stay forever?" Harry adds.

Charles smiles as he's glad his sons like Diana. It's easier for him to let them know he plans to ask Diana to marry him.

"I'm glad you like her boys. Ms. Spencer is very special to me. For a while, Ms. Spencer and I have been going out together and I am going to ask her to marry me."

"Marry you, Papa? What does that mean?" William asks.

"It means Ms. Spencer will be my wife, and she will be like a mommy to you."

"So she'll be our new mommy?" William asks.

"In a way, Ms. Spencer can never replace your mother, but if she says yes she will become a mother figure to the two of you."

"Ok, so does this mean she gets to stay forever?" Harry asks.

"Well it depends if she says yes," Charles replies.

"Can we pray she says yes?" William asks this time.

"You can, I know I will."

Charles talks to his sons a little while longer before he reads them their bedtime story. By the time he finish the book, William and Harry are asleep.

"Sweet dreams," Charles whispers before he kisses his son's foreheads.

Charles makes his way to Buckingham Palace to talk to his mother and father as well as get their approval to ask Diana to marry him. He also needs to arrange a meeting with Diana's father.

Once he arrives he is taken to his mother's office where his parents are waiting for them. After all the formalities are over they sit down on the sofa.

"So Charles, what did you want to talk to us about?" Elizabeth asks first.

"Well Mother, I came to talk to you and father because I want to ask Diana to marry me."

Philip nods as he's surprised his son is ready to walk down the aisle again.

"Charles that's wonderful. Are you sure you're ready to remarry?" Elizabeth asks.

"Yes, I love Diana very much. I want to spend the rest of my life loving her. She's very special to the boys and me. William and Harry love her, they developed a special bond with Diana."

"That's good, have you talked to them about Diana becoming a permanent part of their lives, of course, she'll be a mother to them," this time Philip asks.

"Yes I have talked to both of them and they are very excited."

"Well, I think Diana is a lovely young lady and it's very obvious you're in love with her. So I'll give you my blessing," Elizabeth says, "Philip?"

"I give my blessing too, congratulations son," Philip adds smiling.

"Thank you," Charles replies feeling himself relax.

A few days later after he meets with his parents, Charles finds himself on his way to meet with Diana's father 8th Earl Spencer. Charles feels nervous as he has met him before but this time it's different as he will be asking him for permission to marry his youngest daughter.

He arrives at Windsor Castle. Charles invited him to Windsor since Diana is at his apartment with William and Harry.

"Your Highness, Lady Diana's father is here," Richard says to him.

"Excellent, send him in please," Charles replies feeling nervous.

It's been a long time since he last went through this process. Margaret's parents were very nice, and ecstatic when he asked them to marry their daughter.

The door swings open and in walks Diana's father.

"Good morning Your Highness," Earl Spencer says after he bows.

"Good morning Earl Spencer, thank you for meeting with me on such short notice," Charles replies shaking the older man's hand.

"No problem at all, Sir. How can I help you?" the Earl asks.

"Well sir, as you know your daughter and I have been seeing each other for some time," Charles pauses and takes a deep breath, "I would like to ask you for Diana's hand in marriage."

"Do you love my daughter?" the Earl asks after a silent moment.

"Yes sir, very much," Charles replies.

The Earl sits there for a few moments thinking. Charles feels he's about to break out in a sweat if he has to wait much longer.

"I will give my blessing," the older man says finally.

"Thank you, sir. I'm so pleased to have your blessing," Charles says.

"I'm honored that you have chosen my daughter to be your wife."

After his meeting with Diana's father, he begins to plan how he plans to propose to Diana. Like Diana, he wants his proposal to be perfect.