Chapter 14

Charles paces back and forth as tonight he will ask Diana to marry him. He knows Diana loves him, but there's the possibility of her turning down his proposal.

Considering her life will change dramatically, especially once their engagement is announced. They agreed to keep their relationship private as only close friends and family knew they were seeing each other. It helped as he didn't have to worry about the press harassing her. Although he wanted the world to know the woman who stole his heart. However, she will instantly become a mother to his sons and one day she will be standing beside him as his queen.

Diana stands in front of the mirror taking one last look at herself. She wants to look good, although she couldn't understand why Charles wanted her to dress so formally for dinner. They have had dinner alone together so many times, so she wondered what makes this dinner so special.

There's a knock at the door.

"Come in," Diana says.

The door opens and Carolyn walks in. "Hey Duch, just wanted to see you before your big night."

"What makes you think tonight is a big night," Diana asks amused.

"Well simply because your boyfriend asked for you to come to Windsor Castle dressed up, it's obvious he's going to propose. The two of you have been together for over six months."

"I know, but we're probably going to see a show after dinner," Diana shrugs as she puts on her earrings.

Carolyn huffs and rolls her eyes. "I'm telling you, Duch, he's going to propose. Besides it's been almost two years since his wife passed so I'm sure he's ready to get married again."

"I guess. How do I look?" Diana asks turning and allowing Carolyn to see the finished product.

"Like the future Princess of Wales," Carolyn replies.

Diana smiles her cheeks turning pink. "I'm leaving, I'm sure the car Charles sent is outside waiting," Diana replies putting on her coat.

"Ok, have a good night Diana," Carolyn says hugging Diana.

"Thank you."

A short ride later Diana arrives at Windsor Castle and is escorted up to the nursery. When the door opens Diana walks in and sees a table set for two with candles and rose petals. A setting near a roaring fireplace where more candles are lit on the mantle.

Diana is surprised as this setting seems a little more romantic than their previous dinners. She can't help but wonder what Charles is up to, could there be a possibility of him proposing?

"The Prince of Wales will be with your shortly Madam," the butler says.

"Ok thank you," Diana replies taking a seat on the plush sofa.

Once the butler is gone Diana is left to herself to take in her surroundings. The way the room is decorated screams romance as there are a few bouquets of roses placed around the room.

Suddenly Diana feels a bit of anxiety as she remembered Charles telling her he wanted to talk to her tonight. She wonders what it is he wants to talk about.

Diana jumps when she hears the door open.

"Hello my love," Charles says walking in.

Diana turns and smiles.

"Hi Darling," Diana replies softly.

"You look beautiful," Charles says taking in the sight in front of him. She looks absolutely gorgeous, and she's wearing his favorite shade of lipstick. The shade makes her lips look even poutier.

"Thank you," Diana replies shyly.

"My shy girl," he replies kissing her on the cheek, "why don't we sit down and have dinner? We have a long night ahead of us," before guiding Diana over to the table. 

After dinner Charles takes Diana by the hand and guides her back to the sofa.

"Diana, I need to talk to you about something very important. Actually, my love, it's very life-changing," Charles says taking Diana's hand and looking into those beautiful blue eyes. 

"What is it?" Diana asks nervously, her heart beginning to beat fast. 

"Well my angel, we have been courting for a while and I know that the more I get to know you the more I fall in love with you. You are very special to me and my sons, and we are very lucky to have you in our lives. So Diana," he pauses, "will you marry me?" 

Diana looks at him and she can't believe he's asking her to marry him. Carolyn was right. 

"Charles are you sure?" 

"Yes, I've never been so sure about anything," Charles replies caressing the back of her hand. 

Diana doesn't say anything as she's so surprised. 

"Well, darling?" Charles asks feeling his nervousness getting the best of him. 

"Yes," she says softly. 

"Yes?" Charles asks hoping she said yes. 

"Yes, I'll marry you," Diana replies smiling. 

Charles smiles and pulls Diana into his arms kissing her passionately. 

"You do know that this means one day you will be queen?" Charles asks caressing the side of her face. 

"Yes, but I know as long as you are beside me, I'll be fine," Diana replies. 

"Of course my love," he replies before kissing her. 

"I love you, Charles," Diana says a tear coming down her cheek. 

"I love you too, my shy girl," Charles says before kissing the tear away, "we'll announce our engagement after you come back from your trip."

"Ok."

Charles pulls Diana onto his lap before capturing her lips for another passionate kiss. It's been a long time since he has felt this happy. Now the woman of his dreams is a reality.