Chapter 3-How They Fire Each Other Up

Song for Chapter: The Seed(2.0)~The Roots ft. Cody Chestnutt

SAGE

My hand slams on the snooze button of my blaring alarm. With a groan, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed, mentally preparing myself to start another day. After hitting thirty, a couple of years ago, I make it a point to ignore the subtle dull aches that are starting to accompany me first thing in the morning.

Stretching my arms above my head, the tight muscles of my back strain, pulling and lengthening against the soreness, resulting from the lactic acid build up from yesterday's workout. I should have stretched more. Yawning, I drag my hands through my medium length hair and ruffle it out of habit.

I love mornings. Always have. I'm told I drove my older sister crazy as a kid, barreling into her room ready to start the day while everyone else was still asleep.

I knew better than to barge into my parents room after the one time I did, resulting in me getting yelled at by my parents. Well, my father yelled, my mother screamed—finding her on all fours—my dad was standing behind her. I chuckle but mostly cringe, recalling how my young mind and naiveness actually thought they were wrestling.

Their door was always locked from that point on. I sigh, shaking my head at the other memories trying to come to mind from my childhood, before standing and heading into the bathroom. Channeling my focus on the excitement coming over me to head to the gym for the first actual day now that we got most of the bullshit out of the way, we can get straight into the workouts.

A pair of fiery earthy eyes pop into my mind, followed by the sound of her laughter and her neon lace panties and bra that were both completely see through. Splashing cold water on my face to help remove yesterday's first meeting images, I run a hand down my face, rubbing the stubble on my chin. 

I'm not a believer of love at first sight, that's bullshit. Attraction though? One hundred percent. 

I can't explain it, but I was magnetized to the new recruit who looked like a chaotic sexy mess more than anything; with her oversized clothes, and black hair that was thrown up on top of her head like an afterthought. More of it was down than up, especially after the treadmill fiasco. And her glasses? Definitely sexy.

Something tells me she likes to hide behind them though. Maybe not, I'm more surprised to find I'm curious to find out. Remembering the pain that briefly reflected in her eyes before she gave her real reasons for joining the boot camp and then what her cousin overshared, I hope she's not doing this for some fucking asshole who probably lost out on a good thing and will undoubtedly sooner or later come to his senses and try to win her back. The thought creates an awful bitter taste in my mouth.

What the hell? I frown at the runaway way train my mind is on and then look down at my morning boner, groaning. I have a rule. I don't get involved with clients and I don't plan on breaking that rule anytime soon, no matter how intriguing and sultry a client appeals to me.

My morning routine is the same as always, and I enjoy the repetitiveness of it. It's dependable, certain and...safe. Once I'm ready I begin the battle that is getting my son to wake up. Recalling my own preteen years I know better than to just walk in his room no matter what time of day it is and call out his name, after I knock. "Obie!" 

I wait a few more seconds before I knock again and open the door slowly giving him plenty of time to stop me if needed.

The room is dark with the exception of the muted bluish glow coming from his fish tank. I cross the room and painfully stub my toe on one of his free weights on the floor. "Son of a bitch!" I hop around, reaching for my foot to rub some of the damn pain away, but then trip over his skateboard, crashing down on his floor with a loud thud and even more cursing.