Chapter 10-Wedding Drama & Dancing

Song for the Chapter: Oye Mujer ~ Raymix, Juanes

The song is in Spanish, but the vibe is ✨ and if any one feels inclined to google the lyrics, I feel they express how Sage feels about Joanna at this point even if he doesn't want to admit it 

_________

JOANNA

Re-pinning a loose strand of hair, my eyes scan over the halter burgundy bridesmaid dress. I take in a few deep breaths, praying I don't roll my ankle in the nude peep toe strappy heels, and turn away from the mirror in the dressing room of the church to help Oli zip her dress.

"Is it me or was Coach grumpier than usual yesterday?" I ask, clipping the small clasp at the top of the dress and adjust the straps on her shoulders.

"No." Oli answers, rearranging her boobs in the front.

"He was quieter. And he didn't even respond when you told him you were going to eat the entire buffet at the wedding." There was something definitely off with him. He was distracted, zoned out half the time.

He has a rule: no phones out during training. But his was out the entire time. I hope it's nothing to do with Obie.

"Are you ready?"

"Hm?" My eyes meet hers, the worried look on her face makes me wonder what she's thinking.

"To see Manny, remember?"

Oh, right.

"Yes, I'm ready. Would I rather not see him? Of course. But this is kind of unavoidable."

"You know, it didn't hit me until now, but you guys will always run into each other at all the big family functions now that our families are joining together. All the reunions, communions, baptisms, funerals and obviously weddings. Hijole, what a fucking nightmare!" Oli says, shaking her head.

"It'll be fine," I say, even though my palms are starting to sweat. Afraid I'll leave a stain on the dress I grab a tissue and wipe my hands. We head towards the door when someone knocks and Oli pulls it open.

"Ahh! You both look amazing!" Nati grins at us. She looks wonderful in a bright blue one sided strap dress.

I pull her into a hug. "You're beautiful, Nati!"

"I'm making it our goal to get us both laid tonight." Oli announces. "We just have to make sure we're not related to the guys, of course. Remember what happened with primo, Javi?"

"I heard they only kissed?" Nati questions. 

Oli and I were around twelve years old when this happened, but everyone knows the story of our cousin Javi who was making out with a relative. He was eighteen, the girl was nineteen, but it turns out they were cousins. Second cousins, but still. He's never lived it down.

"Yeah, that's why we laugh about it because they really are kissing cousins," I tell her. "And Oli, I'm not getting laid."

"Fine, just me then. But I'm willing to bet money that Manny's eyes will bug out when he sees you in that dress with all the work you've put in at the gym."

I laugh. "It's only been two weeks, I doubt it's noticeable."

"Well you don't eat so, yeah, it's definitely noticeable."

"I do too, eat, Oli!" I scowl at her. "You know this time of year, I mostly run on coffee and protein bars because of work."

"How much have you lost?" Nati asks, but she looks more worried than anything.