Chapter 28 - Just You

SAGE

Rewinding the video again, I lean in closely and watch as Joanna sits on the mats and begins stretching.

This is what my life has resorted to—watching old security footage of the love of my life in 2D because she wants nothing to do with me. Every day for the last few weeks I've been ending the work day watching footage to see her. Most of the time she's actually not even working out, but sitting and staring off.

Other times, she'll look around and every now and then, she wipes at her face. From what the staff told me, she hasn't even come in for the last few days. This is all I have left of her.

The conversation outside of her apartment has played on an endless loop in my mind at different times. The fact that she went back in knowing Mark was there to seize his chance of comforting her, burned so much it made me physically sick and I threw up outside her building.

She never returned any of my calls. And I don't blame her. I let her down when she needed me. But I've been wanting to tell her Birdie is once again out of the picture. Well, not completely, but she's not going to be around as much as she initially claimed she wanted to be. I wasn't completely surprised, but still felt disappointed for Obie.

As the doctors went over the recovery time and what it would entail, I watched her eyes gloss over. It was 'too much' and with her tour coming up and launching some new fragrance, and facial cream, or some shit, she sat me down to tell me she couldn't be who Obie needed right now.

But she still wants to spend time with him when her schedule isn't so busy. A part of me wanted to yell and scream at her, but I didn't have the energy or the will to fight her. I did, however, make sure she was the one to tell Obie herself that she was leaving.

He seemed to handle it pretty well, at first. But after she left for L.A.—he broke down and cried and cried. I'll never forget the look on his face as he looked up at me and asked, "Why does everyone always leave?"

I lean back, contemplating the irony of life. It's taken all these years and for my personal life to turn to shit for my father to step up and be around more. He's been a part of Obie's recovery and not only visited him frequently while he was in the hospital but also offered to watch him when I returned back to work. It's been good to see them bond despite everything else that's happened.

Both Mei and Marisol have also been Godsent with making meals and cleaning around the apartment, even though I ask them not to.

Obie is at least mobile now using a single crutch to get around, not quite putting all his weight on his leg. The news of not only getting shot and surviving but also information being leaked on his famous mom, has made him somewhat of a celebrity at school, but he doesn't let it get to his head. The experience also seemed to solidify his friendship with Justin and now Camila, too.

My head snaps up with the loud knock on my door. Tanner walks in, concern etched on his face.

"I've been calling your name, you okay?"

I nod my head. "Yeah, fine."

"You look like shit."

"Thanks." I grunt and start gathering some files and loose paperwork, not knowing what the hell I'm actually picking up, but hate feeling like I've been caught sitting on my ass doing nothing when I should be working.

Tanner chuckles. "Well, glad some things don't change. Your grouchiness gives me the impression of normalcy around here, but even your staff seems on edge."

I drop the papers with a deep sigh and groan. "I need to snap out of this funk I'm in." My hands drag down my face pulling at my tired eyes. Sleep hasn't been something I've been doing lately and it's wreaking havoc on my body more than I'd like to admit.