Chapter 19-Heartache, Whisky and Ice

Song for chapter: Tennessee Whiskey ~ Chris Stapleton

JOANNA

"Oli, this wasn't supposed to happen."

"Nah, it was totally meant to happen, prima. One hundred percent," she tells me as she scratches my head propped on her lap. We're having a quiet girls night in, watching a documentary on Netflix.

"I'm falling for him."

"I know."

"I think he's falling for me, too."

"I know."

"He makes me happy."

"You've always been a happy person, JoJo. He's just helping you remember that," Oli replies, dragging her nails through my scalp.

I bite my lip smiling, picturing Sage. "He's so attentive. Nurturing. Supportive. And I love his relationship with Obie. He encourages him to express himself all the time."

"Coach is a good guy. Top notch."

It's been a few days since Valentine's Day and I can't stop thinking about him. I do worry what will happen in a week and a half when the boot camp is over. Will that affect how we are with each other when our schedules go back to normal, so to speak.

Is that when we tell Obie we are more than friends?

My mom asked me to invite him and Obie to Sunday dinner, but I want to wait a little longer before we start including our families more in our relationship.

Relationship. I never imagine being involved with someone this quick, let alone with someone like him. A warmth spreads within me recalling all the sweet and sometimes dirty things he whispers when we're together.

At first, it was weird to me how vocal he is, but now I realize it was more strange that Manny never spoke, besides the occasional grunt. I always wondered what he was thinking, if he was enjoying himself or not. I never have to wonder with Sage.

I sigh and try to focus on the show. "Hey, I haven't seen Eddie around. Is he out of town or something?" Oli's hand stops scratching my head and I hear the change in her breathing. Sitting up to face her, I see the silent tears falling.

"Oh, no, what happened?"

I reach for her hand and she uses her other hand to hold in a sob. I bring her in for a hug. Rubbing her head and back, listening to her cry until she's ready to talk. Her sobs quiet down to small shuddering breaths and hiccups after a few minutes.

"I told him I loved him." Her voice cracks before she finishes and I tighten my arms around her. "On Valentine's. Fucking cheesy, I know. But it's how I felt so I told him. He hasn't called or answered his phone since then."

"Maybe he is out of town for work." I suggest stroking her back, but I plan to hunt Eddie down tomorrow.

She shakes her head. "I drove by his house and where he works. He's here." My sweet cousin looks absolutely devastated.

"Ay, Oli."

She begins crying again. "I...I thought...maybe...he felt the same. Like there's a connection with him, like no one else before," she sputters. Not in a position to judge the quickness of her strong feelings, I decide not to comment.

While Oli gets infatuated easily, she doesn't go around telling everyone she loves them. In fact, I can't remember the last time she confessed her feelings for someone.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

She sniffles and sits back, shrugging. "You're so happy. I didn't want to bring you down after all the shit that you've been through."