Chapter 20-Hard Realities

Song for the chapter: Communication ~ The Cardigans

SAGE

"You can't pull shit like this again!" I growl angrily into my phone.

"It won't happen again, I promise, Sage." Birdie responds after a long sigh. "The interview went longer than expected and I lost track of time. But at least nothing happened, right? That's what's important."

"What's important is you following through. Two hours. Two hours until you felt like picking up the damn phone to check in. If you do this again, any hope you have of sharing custody is out."

"I don't need a lecture, Sage. I'll call Obie later if he's not still mad," she tells me.

I shake my head before leaning back into my chair. "That's the difference between him and me, he doesn't stay mad long."

Joanna comes around my office desk, massaging my shoulders before bending over me to give me a kiss on my temple. My anger ebbing away with her touch and calming scent.

"I'll make it up to him." Birdie promises.

"We'll see." I end the call and toss my phone on my desk before pulling Joanna around and onto my lap, nuzzling her neck.

"I'm not defending her, but...there's an obvious learning curve to consider. Parenting doesn't come as natural for everyone like it does for you and she's having to re-learn in a way how to shift and manage all these new responsibilities. It can't be easy."

"I'm not expecting perfection, but if she's the one insisting that she wants to do this, I expect her to at least show up and if she can't, then she can and should make a call. It's that simple." I start to give her throat slow kisses.

"That's fair," she says breathily.

"Thank you for being there for Obie. I'm glad he had the sense to call you when he couldn't reach me."

"You're welcome, I was happy to pick him up. I hadn't had lunch so I was able to leave early. It all worked out." She cups my face, kissing me lightly.

We look ahead of us when there's a knock at the door. Tanner walks in with a smile on his face. "I seem to have a knack for interrupting you two."

"No interruption." Joanna stands and greets him. "Tanner, right?"

"Yes, it's lovely to see you again, Joanna." He takes her hand kissing it, my eyes narrowing at his overly friendly greeting. "Do you have plans tonight?"

"Oh." Joanna retracts her hand, looking back at me, her face flushing. "I'm with Sage, thought it was pretty obvious..."

Tanner barks out a laugh. "I meant for you to join us. We're having dinner together and I'd love to get to know the woman who melted my friend's ice cold heart better."

Joanna smiles cordially at him. "I'm an open book, but what do you want to know?"

Tanner's eyes briefly shift to mine before he grins, placing his hands in his pockets. "Well, for starters. What do you do? Are you from Chicago? And what are your intentions with my friend?"

"You don't need to answer him, Joanna." I stand and approach them.

"It's fine." She looks over her shoulder and then turns her attention to Tanner.

"I'm an accountant for MC-Accounting, going on my second year there. I was born and raised in Chicago. And as far as my intentions with Sage..." She turns to look at me and smiles when I wrap my arms around her. "I'm enjoying getting to know what a great guy he is. One of the best people I've ever met and I'm head over heels about Obie."