Chapter 15-The Real First Kiss

Song for chapter: Perro Fiel ~ Shakira ft. Nicky Jam

JOANNA

The last week has gone by quickly.

There are only three weeks left of the bootcamp which is crazy considering it felt like the end couldn't come fast enough in the beginning.

Things between Sage and I have been...nice. Different but nice. He hasn't mentioned anything about going out again or his feelings for me and...I don't know how I feel about that, honestly. But I'm thankful there isn't any awkwardness between us.

In fact, it's the opposite. Talking with him each day has been great---like we've known each other longer than five weeks. Our conversations range from anything and everything during our sessions. He fits in well with our group and carries conversations with everyone when there's extra time.

He updated me on how it went with Obie and his ex-wife, who he refers to as 'B'. I figure it's a nickname between them...maybe a term of endearment.

Anyway, after the understandable initial uncertainty, Obie's natural chattiness led him to open up with his mom and they've decided to meet a couple of times a week to get to know each other better. Nothing's been decided on custody arrangements, but he's meeting with a lawyer to make sure things are done properly.

Recalling that day Sage drove me to work the morning after I spent the night, he had this smile on his face that stayed the entire drive.

Mark happened to be walking into the building and stopped when he saw me stepping out of Sage's jeep after Sage opened the door.

"Friend?"

"Friendly co-worker," I explained, waving at Mark, who returned the gesture with uncertainty.

"He seems like a nice guy."

I turned back to Sage. "He is."

"Looks like he's waiting for you." He nodded and lifted his hand in acknowledgement to Mark as well. 

"What is that supposed to mean?"

Sage laughed. "It's not supposed to mean anything. He looks like a cool dude."

"Okay..." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Anyway, hope you have a great day, Joanna. See you in the morning."

And since that day things have been different, but not awkward or weird, just...nice. He's the same mostly but different, too. I can't quite put my finger on it.

"Joanna, get your head in this. Focus." Sage's voice brings me to the present, back to the squats I'm about to do. I'm doing a heavier weight than I'm used to; he says I'm ready.

"You've got this, girl." Oli claps her hands.

I lift the bar with the weights, letting myself adjust to the weight.

Half way through the second round my thighs and butt are on fire. I set the rack back to rest before the final set. 

"I don't think I can do the last set, Coach," I confess, panting and using the towel Oli hands me to dab the sweat on my face.

"Do as many as you can, you're doing great." Sage smiles at me. "Ten seconds left before you hit it again, okay?" I nod, wiping the sweat dripping from my face with my shirt.

"Just think, JoJo, you keep this up and soon you'll be lifting my body weight, which means you can carry me when I get too shit faced to walk."

I laugh. "I think dead weight is different from this, Oli."