Chapter 12-Overreaction Reaction

JOANNA

Things aren't going to be weird. Don't make things weird, Joanna.

Nothing happened. Did we almost kiss? You bet. Did I want to kiss him? A hundred percent. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't resist the magnetic pull and energy between us. But fate intervened like it has a tendency to do as I'm coming to realize and nothing happened. 

It's for the best. I don't need to complicate my life by getting involved with someone so quickly, especially if there's a child involved.

Not that I wouldn't date someone with a child or children, though I can honestly say I never really thought about it. Until now.

Obie is an awesome kid. Super sweet and funny. And I love how close he is with Sage.

I shake my head to focus. Yeah, this is for the best.

I nod at myself in the mirror after pulling my hair up in a messy bun and throw on a jacket before knocking on Oli's door. 

"Time to get up, prima!"

Knocking again, I reach for the handle but the door swings open and I come face to face with the bare chest of a man, his jeans are undone, and then he rushes past me before I can say a word.

I turn back, making out Oli's form on the bed, still asleep. "Oli!" I hiss, moving into the dark room hesitantly, waiting for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. Calling out to her again, I nudge her arm and she sits upright immediately. I find a shirt on the floor and throw it at her to cover up her naked chest.

"We're gonna be late. Coach will make us do double sprints if we're not on time."

She groans, falling back and then reaches out on her bed, her hand moving in different directions before her head pops up again.

"Where's Eddie?"

"I'm going to guess that was the guy who just ran out of here like I was chasing him with my chancla." I inform her as I look around. My mom's voice pops in my head about having pride in keeping a clean room, and begin picking up some of the clothes strewn around the floor.

"Is he the same guy from Anita's wedding?"

Her face breaks into a smile with her eyes still closed. "Yep."

"Just curious if I'm ever going to officially meet him?" I tease, throwing clothes in her hamper and then because I can't help it, I start straightening and organizing her lotions and perfumes on her vanity.

"Ay, no manches, Jojo!" Yoli says, muffled into her pillow. (Oh, quit playin')

"Alright, seriously, you need to get going, I don't want to do double sprints, today. I'm going to take Maverick and Goose out and you better be ready by the time I get back or I'm going to have an interesting conversation with my Tia about her daughter having strange men over. I still owe you for calling my mom, remember?"

"I'm up!"

When we arrive, I take deep breaths trying to control the fluttering chaos wreaking havoc in my stomach, knowing I'll be coming face to face with Coach again. I pause before pulling open the door, reminding myself to be cool.

"What are you doing?" Oli asks.

"Huh?"

"You're talking to yourself," she says, pulling off her jacket. "Are you going to tell me how your wedding date with Coach went?"

Avoiding her probing eyes, I turn away, to take my jacket off. "It wasn't a date. Obie was with us, remember?"

"Lozano, Espinoza, you're with us today." Another trainer, Joel, approaches us.