Chapter 7-Steamy Encounter

Song for chapter : Made You Look~Meghan Trainor

SAGE

The smug grin on Tanner's tan face can only mean one thing. He has insight on the disastrous one-and-done date. The sunny glow on his skin comes courtesy from his recent business trip in Miami.

"I didn't think it was possible, man, but I think you've gotten worse since the last time we did this."

"Shut up, or I'll shove the club up your ass." Glaring at him briefly, I focus on setting up my stance and concentrate on my form. I pull the club back and swing it forward, clipping the damn miniscule ball, but it doesn't go far into the green.

"Kinky, but I'm not into that," he responds with a clap on my shoulder followed by a laugh.

We switch places and he takes his turn under the second floor heated stall we are in. "So, let me get this straight. You went out on a date, with a knock-out like Max—who was into you—from how touchy you said she was, but you went home alone?"

"I had to pick up Obie." I respond, skirting the disbelieving look he's giving me.

"What aren't you telling me?"

I lift my gaze to find him still watching me instead of setting up his swing. Shrugging my shoulders, I take in our surroundings.

"Max's nice, but I wasn't feeling it. Not my type, I guess."

"Do you have a type?" He cocks his eyebrow and then he looks down, focusing on his swing. He brings the club back and in a swift fluid motion swings it forward just like the annoying natural talent that he is with the sport.

"Well?"

"Well, what?" Once again taking my turn with the frustrating sport.

"What's your type?"

"I was joking. I don't have one. I've only been with 'B' and after Obie came along, he's been the main focus."

"No, I'm certain there was a cute little number you dated for a few months when Obie was like four or five. Shit, that was a long time ago." He rubs his chin, deep in thought. He snaps his fingers. "Ah! Amy, right?"

I set my jaw, straightening after placing the ball on the tee. "Amelia."

"That's right Amelia."

"She didn't want to join an already made family, remember?" My eyebrows cave in concentration. "Anyway, before B, I was just a horny teenager in high school and never was exclusive with anyone."

For the longest time, I didn't want to be like my parents—who were high school sweethearts only to have it all blow up when life throws an unfair curveball. 

My experiences with love comes down to one recurring result. It's a risk. One I'm not willing to take again.

"I see. So, you're not into sweet doe-eyed, curvy Latinas?"

My golf club flies out of my hand on my backswing.

"Heads up!" Tanner shouts just in time before a couple of people are taken out by my flyaway club.

"Guess that answers that." He turns back to me with a wolfish grin. "When can I meet her?" He wiggles his eyebrows.

"I don't know who you're talking about." I slump in the seat next to him and then cross my leg to stop it from bouncing.

"Sure you do, Sage. Max said you guys doubled last night. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I set you up on this blind date."

"Didn't realize you were going to get a full report on it." I growl, annoyed that my suspicion was correct. I knew he was going to ask and I was going to be honest, mostly, I just didn't expect him to know other details.