Chapter 2-She's Not A Fan

Song for Chapter: Clumsy~ Fergie 

(It doesn't really go with the chapter, more like Joanna's character later in the story, hahaha I've just been on a Fergie kick this last week! 💃🏽)

JOANNA

I groan, collapsing on the floor after finishing my second and final round of pushups. I've never been this drenched in sweat my entire life and it's doing very little to convince me that this is what I want to do day in and day out for the next two months.

After Coach was satisfied with our group therapy earlier, another trainer went over the dress code and then we were given a tour of the gym. We were then separated into different stations to do a fitness test; performing exercises to measure our current level of physical fitness while the trainers observed us like weird science projects, scribbling notes on their clipboards.

The tests range from pull ups, pushups, vertical jumps, toe touches, wall squats, ins and outs and finally, sprinting a fifty yard dash. Did I mention I don't exercise regularly? Other than taking Maverick and Goose on walks, anyway, but that counts as exercise, right?

I took P.E. in school, but only because it was a requirement. I never understood how running a mile in under the required twelve minutes would prepare me for the real struggles of adulthood. Spoiler, it doesn't.

Rolling over on my back, to keep from throwing up and turn my head to the side, still hyperventilating. Oli is in the station next to me getting ready to go up for her turn to do pull ups.

Women meet the minimum standard, if we are able to do at least one. When I attempted it, my upper body strength gave up as soon as my feet left the box—which was provided for women to reach the bar if necessary—I dropped like a sack of potatoes.

I crawl over to watch Oli. She cracks her neck and her knuckles, rolling her head on her shoulders. Her lips move as she mutters—no doubt hyping herself up as she focuses on the bar.

Sitting up with wide eyes, mouth hanging open, when a war cry rips out of her as she launches herself off the box, followed by a loud groan after she slams against the wall the bar is attached to; she crumples to the floor and I rush towards her.

"Oli, are you okay?" I turn her over. "Can you hear me?"

She moans and blinks her eyes open. "Did I get over the bar?"

"Not even close, girl." I chuckle, helping her sit up. Quique and Nati rush over to us and a few others in our group also ask if she's okay.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." She waves a hand at everyone, shaking her head and blows out a loud exhale.

"Espinoza." Coach looks down at her with his arms crossed. "Half credit for originality and sound effects, but I don't want to ever see you do that again. Understood?"

Oli stands shakily and salutes him. "Aye, aye captain."

"It's coach, tonta." Quique teases with his usual banter and pinches her side which results in her yelping. (dummy)

"Ay, pendejo, don't pinch my lonjas!" She smacks him. I shake my head laughing at their usual antics. (Asshole, lovehandles)

Coach watches the interaction, too, before his surprisingly amused-looking eyes find mine and then he turns away. I hope he can feel me drilling holes in the back of his head, with his stupid short man bun.

"What is his problem?" I wonder out loud.

"Who?" Nati asks next to me.

I nod my head in the direction he was walking. "Mr. I take my job too seriously."