Texting and Explaining

--Alana--

Conner and I exchanged numbers two days ago already. I thought about texting him first, but I didn't want to rush a conversation. I've always gotten excited when I can help others emotionally, but that can make me seem a bit... too much, sometimes. After all, Conner was supposed to text me whenever he wanted to. I couldn't just be like "Hey, need emotional support?". That would be weird.

Anyway, Conner texted me for the first time around thirty minutes ago. It was just a question for a problem on science homework, but I tried to help as much as I could. Once Conner was done with that, he officially declared:

"Mrs. Jerrak. I'm done with hw!!!"

I smiled and responded, "Already??? Wow that was fast."

"What do you mean? It's already 5:30, lol." There was a pause, then Conner added. "I'm tired of schoolwork already."

"So what would you rather do instead? Meet with friends, play video games?"

"Haha, idk! I like going outside and taking in the world. So many pretty views."

"Ooh, question. City or landscape? I've always  been a city girl myself."

"Landscape." And then three dots showed on my screen as Conner wrote more.

I put my phone face-up on the living room table (where I was sitting), then noticed Abram come into the room. He just got back from work and now was wearing his comfy home clothes. I knew from the look in his eye what he was wondering. Is food ready yet?

Well, I had to disappoint him. "Sorry, babe, but the pasta will take about ten more minutes."

He sighed and plopped down on a chair next to me. "I didn't even have to ask. It's like you can read my mind."

"More like your stomach." And we both laughed.

Then I asked, "So, has anything interesting happened today?"

Abram shrugged. "Not much..." Then my phone dinged with Conner's reply and Abram glanced at it. I quickly turned my phone over. Sorry, Conner, but you'll have to wait. I'm with my husband right now!

"Hey, you don't have to flip it over. You can respond. Who you talking to anyway?" Abram asked.

I inwardly tensed. Would it be weird to say I'm texting one of my daughter's best friends? "You don't know them. I met them at Anith's school."

"Oh, I might know their kid. Or their husbands."

I stifled a laugh. Abram must've thought I was talking to a school mom. That would make complete sense, with how things have gone before.

He looked at me with a confused smile. "Why are you laughing?"

"I'm not laughing."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not." But at that point I had started chuckling just for the sake of it. "Well, it's that I'm talking to Anith's classmate, Conner. The one who cut his foot. He came to me two days ago while I was dropping Anith off, and it sounded like he needed some emotional support, so... we exchanged numbers."

Abram smiled. "Oh, that's great! Why wouldn't you tell me?" Then he looked back at the phone. "Wait, you should respond to him if it's serious."

"Well, I had just been helping Conner with his homework. He just finished."

Abram nodded. "Ok. Does Anith know you're texting one of her best friends?"

"Of course not! Plus, Conner doesn't want anyone to know that he needs help. He's sworn me to secrecy."

"Then why did you tell me?" Abram's eyes widened.

"Tsk, you're my husband! But," I thought a moment, "I don't think I should tell you what Conner needs help with, if that's ok."

Abram smiled and placed his hand on mine. "Of course that's fine. I have to admit, I'm proud of you for helping someone like this."

"W-why? I mean, it's the decent thing to do."

"Not everyone would think so! I mean, he's not even our kid, but you still care. I'm just saying that's beautiful. Take the compliment."

I laughed, and turned away so Abram couldn't see my blush and my stupid grin. (How did I know I was blushing? Well, I always seem to when Abram compliments me. Since our first date, he's taken the biggest satisfaction in that, no matter how much it embarrasses me.) "Well, I, uh... Thanks. I'll take it."

"Good." Abram said. I turned around to see him smiling widely at me.

Then Anith entered the living room. It was only 5:40 pm, but she was already in her oversized pajamas. "Hey, Mom. Hey, Dad. Is dinner almost ready?"

Abram laughed. "See, Alana! I'm not the only one who's asking!"

I grinned at Anith. "Sweetie, it'll be done real soon. You can start setting up the plates while I drain the pasta."

So we both went about our jobs and, soon enough, food was on the table (salad too, since I couldn't survive without some greeny freshness). After Abram said grace, I knew it was time to have my normal how's your day going? conversation with Anith. It had been a while since I asked, after all. But Abram cut to the chase before me.

"Anything interesting, Anith?"

"You mean in life?" She asked.

He nodded.

Anith thought about it. "Well, nothing much. School is normal. Conner has been struggling with his crutches, which is awful, but also hilarious to watch."

"Anith!" I said, staring at her. Now, I couldn't disagree, I doubted anyone could. But...still. "You didn't laugh at him, did you?"

"Of course not! Jeremiah was watching me like a hawk. He knows how blunt I can be."

Abram shrugged. "Good. It keeps you on your best behavior."

Anith laughed a bit and shrugged. "Ah... not really. But, wait! There is something interesting! Dad, I have to tell you all about what I learned in science class this past week!"

So, Anith jumped straight into that, and I soon became conscious that I never responded to Conner's text. I stealthily grabbed my phone from besides me and put it underneath the table, glancing down at it to read Conner's message and then write my own. Hopefully, Anith won't get mad that I'm breaking the "no phones at the table" rule...

Conner had just written about all the types of landscapes he liked the most (rocky mountains being top of his list). As soon as I sent my response, he answered back to me. So while Anith and her dad talked, I chatted with Conner over text. Not what I quite expected from dinner, but fun.