Family Call

--Conner—

I looked in the mirror, tilting my head at various angles. From the hair loops going behind my ears, to the piles and piles of braids forming a sort of bun in the back of my head, to the diamonds and feathers fanning out of the hairstyle like peacock feathers... all I could say was "perfect". I was finally feeling in my own skin- better than that, actually! I felt absolutely amazing, and the confidence radiated out of me.

"Thank you so much." I breathed to Alana, still keeping my eyes on my own reflection. "I haven't looked this great in years."

Alana shook her head with an amazed look, focused on taking out all the stray hair that was stuck on the brush. "I'm just glad it didn't take more than three hours. If you didn't start braiding as well, I would never have gotten that done." She then smiled. "Plus, I love what you did with the feather hairpieces."

I beamed, glad that I had been the one to fasten them in. "Feathers signify dignity in our culture, and the diamonds signify purity."

"And the gold pieces connecting them?" Alana asked.

I had to look where she was pointing to understand, since the substance was an Achi-Pimientyen mineral that wasn't actually gold. I answered, "That signifies truth."

An emotional pang came inside me. I wasn't an honest person. I lied to everyone about my identity every day. How could I wear something so elaborate and honorable in my culture, if I would even dare to bring disgrace to its meaning? But I pushed the thought away. I had to wear the headdress for the call. It was tradition's fault, not mine.

Not mine at all.

Alana seemed to sense again that something was wrong. "Is it normal for fancy people to wear these hair pieces on your planet?"

"Well, we have different degrees of accessories. Some are for every day, some for special family occasions or festivals. But there are specific ornamentations for the government officials, based on their status, that they wear any time the public sees them. The Breath always looks ravishing, and if I ever saw the Deity of Eight in person, I think I'd die."

I had to restrain the word "again", because I had truly seen the Deity of Eight in person right before I had left Achi-Pimientu for earth. And right then I did think that I would die.

Alana was confused by how excited and light my tone of voice had been. "You'd die because you're a rebel...?"

I didn't know whether to nod or shake my head. "Well, of course they would kill me for running away to earth. But, what I meant when I said that was... Don't mind me, I'm a fashion-and-beauty guy. Everyone on my planet is. And when Siuatlah Ketsaltik walks into a room, everyone faints. Even the women occasionally."

"Let me guess, she's a real pretty member of the Deities, right?"

"The best! She surpasses all of us in beauty, down to the way she walks." I smiled sheepishly. "Every schoolboy loves her- even though she's a tyrant."

"Well, compared to girls on earth, what's your rating?"

I carefully turned my head to look at her, asking with my eyes if she was ok to get offended. Alana shrugged at me, like "What can go wrong?" so I answered truthfully.

"Ok, this may just be because I grew up in Achi-Pimientu where everyone has pink skin and thick hair... but out of 10, she's a 25 and Earthens are a 2."