On The Run

--Conner—

I scrambled out of my chair after the call with the Deities. I didn't know how long I had before my guardians could show up and kill me, so I rushed to use the time as best I could. First things first, get rid of all tracking devices. The most important was the one in my chest compartment, implanted during my surgery, because that was the only tracking device directly in my body. I hurriedly thought about how to get it out. I was currently in my alien form, with my human disguise safely tucked in tight folds inside the compartment. I knew that the tracker was on the far side of the metal ring, meaning I'd have to maneuver my hand inside the compartment to chip it off.

If I let the human disguise spread back on me, my "scar" would cover the metal chamber from access. But I remembered a code that would let me open it without letting the disguise come over me. I hurriedly inputted this code and the metal screen moved aside. I carefully grabbed the folds of my human skin and brought it out. The end was connected to the back of the metal cylinder, so this wasn't convenient. Taking hold of a pencil, I bent over my chest and tried to see where the tracker was. I saw a black identity chip secured to the metal, blinking an eerie red light.

I forced the pencil inside. Scraping around with the tool didn't hurt, but my breathing quickened anyway. I took the pencil out and peered back into the chamber. The tracker was broken. Most of it was lying on the bottom of the metal ring. I  used a finger to gather the pieces, then examined the disabled chip in my palm.

I'm no longer an Achi-Pimientyen. I lost all rights to call myself that. I dropped the broken tracker on my desk and sighed. I have to be bold now. There's no reason to be sentimental. I have no way to return to my former life. I left my phone on the counter too. I knew they'd track my location and could find all my call and text conversations. They monitored everything. Even if I deleted all my messages to Alana, the Deities and their appointed spies would find them on the Cloud or somewhere else. There was no point taking my devices with me.

I tore off my beautifully styled alien wig and let it fall to the floor. The human skin came over my body and I plopped my blond hair on top, feeling it fasten magnetically to my skull. I put on a sweatshirt while stumbling out of my room. In the kitchen towards the door, I grabbed a loaf of bread. Who knows when I can eat next?

Then, without looking back, I rushed out the door and ran onto the street. The sun hadn't set yet. I tried to look like a non-suspicious jogger as I sprinted. Remembering the directions to the Jerraks' house was difficult, but key buildings encouraged me on the way. My mind was racing even faster than my pounding heart. My breath hitched as my chest shot shooting pains throughout my body. Still, my feet didn't hesitate about my destination.

I needed a place to stay. That was a fact. That place could be in a dumpster or a street corner, or it could be in the house of someone who would protect me.

I knew Alana: she'd make sure to help me as long as I didn't put her family in too much risk. But, in reality, she was already in danger! Just a spy's quick view of our messages would put her on the empire's hit list. She and her husband needed to know about the situation.

But wouldn't they hate me and cast me out if they knew I was a spy? I got that covered! There was an alibi that would fit in perfectly with the story that I previously told Alana. If I could pull this off, she'd still believe I was a rebel just running from an oppressive government.