the beginning of the end

My mom lead me into a room with other kids and she crouched to my height, her brown hair brushed back into a slicked back bun “sweetie, I’ll bring right back to get you, mommy has some where she needs to be” I nodded scared, sitting on the alphabet mag floor of the cheerful daycare.

“Don’t worry, she will come back” a little boy assured with a stupid smile on his face “you don’t know that!” I spat and he say besides me “my names Kyle” he stuck his hand out and I shook it reluctantly “Y/n, and don’t worry about me, I’m used to being alone” I assured him and he laughed.

She lied.

My mom never returned back to scoop me up in her arms and hug me to tell me I would be ok.

But no matter how many parents gave me up, Kyle stuck with me, my only friend until I was brought in for a meeting one day.

“Here’s the final member!” Price announced and I looked down embarrassed “come sit down” Kyle whispered harshly and I nodded sitting beside me.

“you may be wondering why I brought you together, I want you all on my taskforce” Price said and I stood up to hurry out “Y/n!” Price yelled and I quickly sat.

“I brought you all here so you can train like a team would, don’t disappoint me” he instructed and for five minutes we say in silence.

“Well then, I’m Gaz and this is my friend Y/n, or Reaper” my eyes went wide and I cleared my throat “why are you called Reaper?” a guy in a skull mask emerged from the shadows scaring me “my Friends used to call me Reaper, it’s the only nickname I’ve ever had” I explained going quiet again.

They all introduced themselves and I left back  to my room, or tried to.

“Reaper, I want a word” I froze and walked to Price’s office.

“you can’t do this to yourself” he huffed and I shrugged “last time I cared for someone they died, so I distance myself from making friends and it works” I huffed and he shook his head, “then don’t make this team your friends, just treat them like team mates” Price instructed and I nodded.

Roughly 2 years later.

“why was I put on a team full of sex crazed men?” I questioned to Price and he laughed, “Ghost isn’t sex crazed?” he asked and I nodded “right, bye!” I exclaimed grabbing my bottle of Bourbon and marching to Ghosts room.

I knocked on his door and he groaned, one of his rare vocal things to do.

“I have Bourbon!” I called and the opened the door.

To my surprise he was shirtless, but still had the mask, he had scars all over his very muscular upper half and it seemed to be some of his newer stitches were close to ripping.

“Need help big guy?” I asked and he shoved a first aid kit into my hands not saying a word as I sat him down.

“don’t look down” I mumbled softly pricking his skin with the needle starting to thread it through.

When I finished I put a patch on his right pec and smiled at him, “why are you here?” He asked and I motioned to his cigarettes by his window, “I just wanted a peaceful smoke, I don’t feel like hearing Soap or Gaz go at a girl like a dog in heat” I huffed and he let offered me one lighting his.

I tried to click his lighter to no avail, instead of him letting me continue to struggle he leaned down to light mine with his “remember that time I had to save your ass from drowning?” He asked and I huffed out a laugh “yeah, worst damn experienced of my life” I groaned remembering that day.

"We have to jump!” Soap yelled and I shook my head “I can’t swim and shoot!” I exclaimed but they didn’t listen so I jumped down landing in the cold water, a chill went through my body and I held my breath until I resurfaced to the top of the water, I continued to swim until a bullet whizzed past my head causing my to duck down into the water, hitting my head into a rock that I hadn’t seen.

I ran my hand over the scar on the back of my head, my eyes glanced to Ghost and he was busy looking out on the city, the day he saved me, that day was the day I made my second friend, I remember him pulling me out of the freezing water and putting me on to the snowy ground waiting for me to wake up.

I thought that was your last day if I’m honest” he looked over at my and I noticed as his chest slowed from his faster breathing pace “you like my chest that much?” he asked and I rolled my eyes laughing “your breath slowed, your not lying to me, you feel safe enough to not be on high alert” I teased and he shook his head, he couldn’t believe I got all of that from watching his breathing pattern “and what if that’s true?” he asked and I smiled “then I’m glad you trust me Simon” I smiled and he attempted to slyly reach for my hand, failing of course “I’m glad you trust me Y/n” he squeezed my hand slightly and I smiled.