prologue

I stood back in the corner of the room, hidden away in the shadows.

"who'd you loose?" a guy who looked like a younger Price approached me, he had a small smile and he seemed nice enough "sorry?" I asked and he let out a small chuckle looking down "right, I'm Alex or Echo 3-1 you may have heard my name floating around" he seemed cocky, but not like gross cocky but cute cocky.

"I'm Y/n, or Reaper, I'm the newbie" I smiled shaking his hand "well it's nice to meet you" he smiled and I looked down "my mom, I joined for my mom" he turned to me with a faint smiled "so did I, guess were not so different newbie" he joked and I rolled my eyes.

Six months later

"Farah the detonators busted" I alerted stepping forward in worry, Farah and Alex both turned to look at me.

"I can plant the charges" I stated quickly and Alex shook his head "I won't let you do that, especially not after everything you've went through" he grabbed my wrist and I looked up at him tears starting to brim my eyes.

"I can-" Farah started and we both turned out heads "No!" we yelled and she looked down and away, almost embarrassed that she even offered. I watched as she left us to debate, probably going to find Barkov.

"Alex, don't do this, let me go please" I pleaded and he grabbed onto two chains around his neck pulling them both off, "my dog tags, and another one I want you to have," he placed the dog tags around my neck and I looked at the other one, it had a cord string and a set of rings on it "you'll always be my favorite, newbie" he pulled my into a hug place the second one in my pocket.

When we pulled back from the hug he pulled me into a kiss, it was quick and soft but it was enough to get the point across.

"I'm sorry"

He pushed me back and ran to open the door and leave, I stood and watched as he ran to the heater.

After the mission

Price softly rubbed my shoulder as I looked at Alex's closed coffin, tears welling in my eyes, a singular tear falling.

"it should have been me" I cried hugging price as it was buried.