Chapter 14

Would you trust a flower that bloomed in a dark room?

- Question -

                *************************

I feel like my life has so many cringe-worthy moments. Finding myself in the most awkward situations has kinda been my thing since I could remember. I never thought of myself as a normal person, but then yet again what is normal?

I have always had a problem fitting in with my peers. I grow up in a black neighborhood but went to a white school. Nona wanted me to experience and embrace both sides of my identity, but I still found it hard to make friends. I was too black for the white kids and too white for the black.

And I still struggle with the same thing today. My workspace has a variety of cultures. From Mexicans, Latinas, and Nigerians to Philippians and Indians. Including our usual African American and white people. It's like everyone has their little community going on. Then you get me.

My Father went out to buy milk and hasn't returned yet and my mother died of a drug overdose when I was two, so it's fair to say I don't remember either of them. Nona took the place of both my parents and she also managed to become my only friend.

It's funny how even a grump like Denial has friends and I don't.

When Denial dropped me off earlier today, he didn't address the last issue. It's either he wasn't curious enough to read it or he did and didn't think what I wrote is worth a response.

Either way, I'll let it slide for now. Once I got in the office I could just sense that they are back. It's like everyone just automatically becomes meaner when they are around.
For the days they were gone, I swear no one even looked my way, but today the receptionist side-eyed me for merely greeting her.

I finished my work early today. So I had a lot of time to dwell on random aspects of my life. But now I sit here bored for the life of me. I thought of doing some work in advance but I'm too lazy for all that. I'm not in the mood to watch anything. So I decided to go for walk around the offices in different departments pretending to be busy.

I entered the tech department and immediately turned around when I saw Alex there. I haven't crossed paths with him since the elevator situation and I don't plan to. I took a sharp turn and regretted it as soon as I did. My skin felt like it was on fire as the hot liquid touched my skin.  " oh my goodness, I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." 

"Hmmm, it's okay, " I managed to say through the pain. I looked up from my soaked blouse to put a face to the sweet voice. " I don't think I have seen you here before," 

" yeah, today is my first day and I'm already fucking up," she sighs in defeat. " can't seem to do anything right these days, " she mumbles at the end. " My name is Reah by the way, just joined the Tech department, " She hands me a napkin.

" I'm Amanda, Company Adviser," I start padding myself with the napkin. " and don't be so hard on yourself, my first day was way worse trust me," I say cringing just by remembering it.

 "I'm sure it wasn't that bad, " she laughs. " I'm so sorry for ruining your blouse, "

" I have actually been looking for a reason to go home and you just gave me one, " I say. " I probably need to go apply some ointment though," 

She gives a small chuckle at the joke I made. " I'll have to go make another one, again I'm so sorry,"

"Don't worry about it, it's cool," I say.

" see you around," she says as she makes her way back to the kitchen. I stand in the same spot for about 20 seconds still processing what just happened. I swear this is the longest conversation I ever had with a colleague. Nobody talks to me here or even tries to be nice. Reah doesn't seem like a mean girl. She has big beautiful brown eyes and a deep melanin tone. She also has the slim build of a model. I'm pretty sure she was just being nice to me since she hasn't met anyone that matches her beauty standards yet. 

I make my way to my office and gather my things to leave. I saw this new series called ' Wednesday' that I want to go watch at home. I have seen the trailer and it seems quite interesting. 

**************

* Home

I can't believe I finished the entire series in six hours. It was worth all the hype in my opinion. It's past midnight now and I'm starving. I lazily make my way to the kitchen and open the fridge in search of something to eat.  I took out a bowl of strawberries and rinsed them before going back into the sitting room.

I start watching bullet train and snaking on the strawberries. I was partially halfway through the movie when heard the front door open. Heavy footsteps make their way into the room. I don't even need to look up to know who it is. " food is in the microwave," I say switching into a more comfortable position.

I hear him hum in response and soon hear movement in the kitchen before hearing him go upstairs.  I let out a yawn as a divert my attention back to the movie.

After 30 minutes or say I hear footsteps again. This time coming toward the sitting room. Denial strolls in shirtless. I pause the movie to see if he wants something. I was laying down on my side and I was about to switch positions in case he wanted to sit down. But he raised my legs before I could say anything and placed them on his lap.

I instantly felt uncomfortable because I was only wearing an XXL shirt. And my panties. Luckily, I wrapped it in a throw so he wouldn't know. I try to remove my legs but he just shakes his head.

" Press play,"

****************************************

Hey, hunnies ❤️❤️

How are you liking the plot development?
I'm introducing more characters. Little by little to make things more interesting.

I know the last chapters or so have been uneventful so I'm trying to hit things up a little for you guys 🤭.

Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment.