Chapter 23

Amanda pov

Everything was a blur from the moment I woke up to when I was cuddled up next to Nona in the back room of the jet. I remember Daniel telling me to get ready and the drive we took to the jet with Nona in a separate vehicle. 

I have been watching her sleep for almost an hour now. I'm too scared to move or leave her alone. Hearing her light breathing next to me is relaxing, It helps me stay sane. Before we left the doctor briefed me about her condition and I went numb. 

I don't know how to feel, in a time like this I need to be strong for her. Even when my mother overdosed I didn't shed a tear until I was alone. Not when the ambulance came to get her or when she was laid to rest. In times like this Im thankful for the numbness because it keeps me going. It's easier this way but I know eventually I'll face the reality and depth of my situations.

I heard a soft knock on the door before I saw Daniel walking in. " Come with me," he whispers before leaving. I slowly get up from where I'm lying and make my way to the bathroom to wash up, I take a quick look in the mirror, noticing the bags under my eyes, I apply some eye cream and leave. With one last glance at Nona, I make my way to the other side of Jet, where Daniel is, when he notices my presence he puts his iPad away. 

" I'm here, " I say sitting down opposite him. I don't make eye contact with him instead I look outside and watch the clear sky. The view is calming, I stare as the clouds pass by, observing their different shapes and forms. 

" Amanda, " I hear him call me out of my gaze. " Eat," He says gesturing to the food placed in front of me. I look down at the food and then up at him. 

" I don't feel hungry, " I whine. He tilted his head looking at me like a disappointed parent. " Seriously, I'm okay, "

" You need to eat, mia cara, " He sighs. "You need the energy, "

I shake my head no and proceed to look out the window again. I know he is probably just concerned about me but I don't have an appetite. We will be landing in a few hours and  I can't wait to get home and climb into my bed.  I almost jump out of my skin when I feel hands on me, and suddenly find myself on his lap. I try to wiggle my way out but he holds my hands with one and puts his leg over mine. Now im stuck. " Daniel," 

He ignores my complaining and uses his free hand to take a spoonful of pudding. " Open your mouth, "

I frown but still do as I'm told. Although I don't want to admit it, I love being in his arms. It's warm, calm, and safe. Surprisingly my racing thoughts came to rest as I was engloved in his scent. He continues to feed me the entire pudding before loosening his hold on me. " Are you full," he asks

I nod. " Did you eat? "

He looks at me for a few seconds before responding "Yes, "

" Are you okay, honestly?"

" yeah, I'll be okay, " I say not willing to drug this topic any further or might just break down again.

He hmms before letting me off his lap. I step aside and let him get up. I watch as he walks away and proceeds to make a phone call that lasts the rest of the flight. Feels like my heart is breaking and healing at the same time. I know I'm not making any sense but my world is flowing apart but yet it feels like he is just behind me picking up every piece that falls. But thats all just in my head. I know this eventually has to come to an end and my world will have to break again, so I shouldnt be mistaking his kindness for something that is far from the truth. 

********************

Hey hunnies sorry for the late update, I have been experiencing writer's block for quite some time now. 

Hope you guys are enjoying the book so far.