Chapter 18

I don't even remember the name of the dish I'm eating but it's worth the price. Throughout the meeting, the two men barely give us attention as they continue to exchange words in Italian.

Mrs. Johnson looks up from her food, " So how long have been married? "

I smile gratefully that she's trying to make small talk. " almost two months now," when I answer I feel Deniels hand settle on my thigh. I try my best not to react to the warmth radiating from his hand.

Why did I have to wear a dress today?

" Are you enjoying married life?" she asks taking a drink of her wine.

" yeah, it's quite the rollercoaster, " I gulp my glass and play with my fork. " what's your profession if you don't mind me asking? "

" she's a neurosurgeon darling, " Her husband answers for her. I can tell he is very proud of her as he places his arm behind her chair. " she's the smartest person I know,"

" oh stop it, what do you do darling?"

" just a company adviser," I say taking another gulp of my glass.

Why the hell am I so nervous?

Daniel gives me my thigh squeeze which makes me start feeling my heartbeat in my panties. Pretty sure that wasn't his intention, he probably did it to calm me down. I give him a nervous smile which he returns with another squeeze that causes me to involuntarily press my thighs together.

The rest of the meeting or should I say lunch goes smoothly with small talk, I just said a few hmm here and there. By the end, I found out that Mr. Johnson and Denial have known each other for a long time.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hands but choose to ignore it until the meetings were over. It vibrates again which I was again ignoring. It's probably just work calling in about leaving, I had so much scheduled for today. I glare at the side of Denial's head as we make our way out of the restaurant. He made me miss out on doing important tasks today.

Stupid grape addict.

We exchanged our goodbyes with the lovely old couple before making it to our car. Once seated I buckled up and the consequences of sleeping late hit me in one go. Let out a yawn, as we got on the road. I allowed myself to doze, it's better than a 20-minute drive of silence. He won't even let me play music.

" Amanda,"

" hmmm,"

" We are home,"

With that, I remove my seatbelt and proceed to leave the car. I felt my phone vibrate again, sighed, and answered.

" Hello,"

" Ms. Johnson, "

" yes, "

"We had an emergency, your grandmother was rushed to the hospital a few hours ago and we have been trying to get a hold of you but you were unreachable, " As she spoke I felt my heart stop. Nona... Nona

What happened to Nona?

Hospital?

God please, not her

Not now.

"Can you please tell me what happened? " I begged as I ran upstairs to my room. Took out my suitcase and started throwing things I'll need inside. " hello, hello,"

Fuck my phone died.

I could barely make out anything, my eyes were filled with tears. Nona... Nona. I run towards the only person that could help me with this right now. When I reached his room I didn't bother knocking I just entered.

" Daniel," I cried.

My brain was working overtime trying to comprehend what was happening, I notice he was not in the room but I hear the shower running so I run toward that. I enter.

" Daniel," I say trying to wipe away my tears.

" Jesus Amanda, " He scolded as he quickly wrapped a towel around his waist. His angry expression changed when we locked eyes.

" What's wrong,"

Nona... Nona

" your phone," I pace around the bathroom. " give me your phone,"

He looked at me like I have grown to heads. " now Denial please," I beg.

Shaking his head he gave me his phone, I run back to my room and searched for the number of the old age home. I wrote it down in my notepad. It was hard to see through the tears but I found it. " hello,"

" yes, good evening,"

" It's Ms. Johnson speaking, can you please tell me what happened to my grandmother, "

" she had a heart attack and got admitted to the hospital, the doctor said she's in stable condition now,"

Poor Nona

" Can you please send me the details of the hospital,"

" Sure, no problem ma'am,"

With that, I hang up and continued to pack and made sure to pack my work stuff so I can do it while I'm there. I kept repeating two words...

Stable condition

Stable condition

Nona is in stable condition.

I plugged in my phone and opened my PC and looked for the earliest flight. I heard a knock on the door. " Amanda? "

" yes, sorry here's your phone... Sorry for barging in like that earlier, " I say and went back to searching for plane tickets.

" what's wrong?" he asked after a long pause. " Where are you going? "

" The US, " I answer briefly taking my eyes off the screen. " Nona had a heart attack,"

" oh Sorry,"

I nod.

" When do you plan to leave? "

" now, but I can't find any flights leaving tonight. " I sigh feeling my tears building up again.

" We can just take my plane it's faster and more convenient,"

" we? " I question

" yes, I'll go pack be ready to leave in 15 minutes,"

I don't why but I felt lighter knowing his coming with me. At least I'll have somebody.

*****************************************

Hey, hunnies 💜

Plot twist😂
Please don't forget to vote, comment and share.