TWELVE!

the fourth of july rolled around quickly. the end of summer was approaching fast, and avalon wasn't ready.

the girls and jeremiah sat at the table eating breakfast. they all had poured themselves a bowl of cereal. susannah walked into the kitchen with steven. she had just got done with his portrait. she had always loved making self portraits of the kids.

"if belly doesn't hurry up and ask cam to that ball, you should take her." susannah told steven.

"nuh-uh. i'm already taking shayla, and even if i wasn't, my answer would still be no." he concluded.

"no way i'd go with you either, dingus!" belly groaned in disgust.

the two started mocking each other, as siblings do.

"you two are unbelievable." avalon laughed, eating another spoon of cereal.

laurel walked in with a face full of makeup. she's not the type to wear makeup since she doesn't need to impress anyone.

"i don't know my kids anymore." she shrugged her shoulders. she still couldn't believe both her kids were going to be in a debutante ball.

"wait, are you wearing makeup?" susannah was taken aback.

"she definitely is!" steven laughed.

everyone started wooing which made laurel embarrassed.

"i'm sure it has nothing to do with john coming to the party." susannah tapped shoulders with laurel.

"oh, please. the husbands always come for the fourth." she rolled her eyes.

"he's not your husband anymore." belly reminded her.

"oops, you're right. ex-husband." she corrected herself.

"i still don't get why you invited dad's girlfriend." steven nodded his head.

"your father wants us all to meet her." laurel shrugged her shoulders. "speaking of dad and victoria, belly i need you to make the guest bed."

"wait, they're staying here? in the room next to me and avalon?" she complained.

"yeah." laurel confirmed while folding towels.

belly groaned and put her head down on the table.

susannah spoke up, "speaking of dads, yours is closing a deal so, he's not going to make it here." she told jeremiah.

conrad overheard while walking downstairs. "wait did you say dads not coming?"

"mhm." she nodded.

"but i got some awesome fireworks for us this year!" jeremiah spoke in disappointment.

"we can film it for him." she shrugged and had a sympathetic look on her face.

"it's not the same." jere whispered to himself.

avalon sat quietly since her dad was obviously not coming. she hadn't seen him or her brother in years, since fiona kicked them out for their drinking problems.

after breakfast, everyone started setting up for the party. conrad and belly went to make up the guest room bed. steven, jere, and avalon helped set up everything outside.

before they knew it, it was time for belly and stevens dad to arrive.

the moms went outside to greet them first. belly and steven looked out the window, curious to see who the girlfriend would be.

"wow, she's hot!" jeremiah blurted.

"dude!" steven nodded his head in disgust.

avalon hit jeremiah in the back of the head for his comment.