TWENTY-ONE!

taylor had left the day before the debutante ball. she wanted to stay and see it but she had to get home.

the day of the ball was finally here. belly and avalon didn't do much that morning. they went over the dance a little with jeremiah and cam, then watched tv until they had to get ready.

the day seemed to be going by slow, which avalon couldn't decide if that was a good or bad thing. she was happy to be getting the ball over with, but she wanted all the time with her friends as she could get. there were only a few days left at the summer house.

avalon was on her bed organizing her clothes. susannah walked in the room, "hi avie!" she smiled big. "oh, hey susannah!" avalon smiled back.

susannah sat down next to her on the bed. "are you ready for the big day?"

avalon giggled nervously, "not at all."

"oh yes you are, i believe in you." she told avalon.

"what if i fall or something?" she put her head down in her hand, covering her face.

"you won't!" susannah laughed, "just hold on tight to jeremiah. he won't let you fall."

"yeah, that's true." she nodded while smiling.

"you know, i still can't believe you got him to go with you to one of these. he swore up and down that he'd never go."

"he said he wouldn't mind." avalon smiled.

"well he'd do anything for you." she paused. "they both would."

when susannah said that, avalon's smiled started to fade.

susannah noticed the change, "is everything okay?"

avalon nodded, "yeah."

"did i push you and belly into this? you can be honest!"

"maybe a little, but we wanted to make you happy."

susannah felt bad. "we don't even have to go tonight if you don't want to!" she offered.

"no no, that's okay. i want to finish what i started." she nodded firmly. "i'm actually kinda proud to show everyone."

susannah smiled and pulled her into a hug.

she pulled back and put her hands on avalon's face. "i love you so much beautiful girl."

tears started to form in susannah's eyes, "okay um," she paused and fanned her eyes with her hands, "you'll do great tonight, i know it." she stood up and waved, walking out of the room.

a little while later, they made their way to the country club to get ready. shayla had greeted the girls and took them to spots she left for them.

she sat avalon right next to nicole. "i think you two should talk." shayla suggested, and walked away.

avalon spoke up first, "nicole, i'm really sorry."

"about what?" nicole looked over at her. "conrad? i'm over it. i'm with somebody else." she rolled her eyes and went back to filing her nails.

"can you let me explain what happened?" she asked calmly.

"fine." she leaned back in her chair.

she took a deep breath. "last summer, conrad and i... you know. i guess you could say he was my summer fling." she giggled to ease the tension, "and before that, i always felt some type of way towards him. i think it's just the fact that he's all hot and mysterious or whatever. but now, this summer it's different. i thought i would have a chance with him and he'd like me back, but he just likes the fact that i liked him. that's it. but i have jeremiah and i've never been happier. i swear i'm over conrad." she explained.