TWENTY!

avalon woke up in jeremiah's arms. she tried to sit up without waking him. she got up slowly. she sat there for a moment to admire him. he looked so peaceful. he was even cute when he was asleep.

she got up slowly and tiptoed out of his room. she walked over to mateo's room and peeked in. she accidentally cracked the door open more which startled him. he quickly turned to the door.

"oh! sorry." she whispered.

"it's alright." he struggled to sit up.

"wait why are you getting up? lay back down!" she said worriedly.

"i'm okay, i'm okay." he chuckled. he got into an upright position that was comfortable for him.

she sighed of relief and sat down next to him. "how are you feeling?" she asked.

he let out a cough, "i've been better."

she nodded, not knowing what to say.

"are you gonna tell mom?" he asked her.

she sighed quietly, "i don't know." she looked down and picked at her nails.

"what do you mean you don't know?!"

she stayed looking down, "i mean, she'll probably find out eventually. we should just tell her."

he stayed quiet for a moment. avalon was worried he was going to get angry. he tends to have a temper like their dad always did.

"i'll tell her." he sighed.

"really?" she looked at him sympathetically.

"yeah, but after the deb ball. i don't want to mess it up for you and belly. i know you're stressed enough."

she smiled and pulled him in to hug her.

"ew gross! get off!" he chuckled, and pushed her off.

"whatever." she laughed, "but thank you teo."

"yeah, of course." he nodded.

"i swear i will stick up for you when you tell her. i won't let her kick you out again!"

"don't worry about it av, i'll handle it. whatever happens, happens." he shrugged.

"mmm no. we won't go down without a fight."

"jeez av, it's just mom. it's not like she's some supervillain." he laughed.

"i know i know, but you need a fair chance. i won't just let her get upset and kick you out."

he lightly smiled at her. "but seriously, whatever happens, happens okay? you can't get mad at her. it's my fault."

"mateo-"

"av i'm serious!" he interrupted her, "promise me you won't blame her."

she looked at him. she could tell this was important to him. "fine. i promise."

he held out his pinky. she connected her pinky with his, and they kissed their thumbs.

later that day

the debutante ball was in two days. that also meant the summer was coming to an end. despite all the ups and downs that occurred, avalon wasn't ready to leave.

avalon grabbed her phone and her airpods and walked outside. she put the airpods in her ears and walked down the driveway out to the street.

she wanted to go on a walk by herself. she needed some alone time to clear her mind.

after her walk around the neighborhood, she took a seat on the side of the road on the curb.

she took out her airpods and moved her hair behind her ears. she sat there for a moment. she took a few deep breaths while closing her eyes. she could hear a train horn in the distance. it made her feel relaxed and in the moment. she focused on the sounds she could hear for a few moments more. she heard cars driving in the distance, birds chirping, the wind blowing the trees softly.

shortly after, she opened her eyes. she took one more deep breath before standing up. she made her way back to the house.

when she got to the driveway, she saw conrad getting stuff out of his car. he looked upset.

she was debating on whether or not she should talk to him. he was being rude to mateo yesterday, and they are like brothers. she was nervous to see how he'd act towards her.

"hey connie..." she walked up awkwardly towards him.

"oh uh, hey." he scratched the back of his head.

"how are you doing?" she asked.

he looked over at her confused. "how am i doing?" he chuckled.

"yeah, how are... you doing..." she trailed off. she sighed loudly, "you know what, never mind." she rolled her eyes and started to walk away.

"hey... wait!" he shouted.

she stopped and took a deep breath. she turned around to face him once again.

"i'm sorry about yesterday. i was being a dick to your brother." he apologized.

"i don't think i'm the one you should be saying sorry to." she scratched her arm nervously.

"yeah i uh- i know. i already apologized to mateo. i just, i wanted you to know i'm sorry. for all of it."

she didn't quite know what he meant by that.

"all of what?" she asked. she wanted to get more out of him.

"everything." he spoke quietly. "this isn't an excuse but, i've just been going through a lot. i don't mean to keep messing shit up."

she smiled sympathetically, "you know you can talk to me. if something is bothering you-"

"my mom's cancer is back." he blurted.

avalon's heart dropped to her stomach. she couldn't process what she just heard.

"how- how do you know for sure?" she put her hand on his shoulder.

"i can just tell. she's giving off all these signs." he explained and leaned against the back of his car, crossing his arms.

"connie, i'm so sorry." she leaned next to him against the car.

he kept his head down and his arms crossed. the two stayed quiet for a while until conrad spoke up.

"you can't tell anyone, okay? not even jere." he told her.

"con, he has a right to know-"

"av please!" he looked over at her. it looked like he was on the verge of tears.

she moved in front of him and looked up at him "okay, fine. i won't tell."

he sighed of relief. "thanks." he lightly smiled.

she smiled back at him.

he kept his eyes on hers. she did the same. her stomach was filled with knots. he still made her feel some type of way.

he slowly leaned in towards her. she wasn't moving away. when he got close to her face, she could feel his breath. he was about to connect lips with her, but she moved her head to the side.

"i can't." she closed her eyes and backed away from him.

he stood up straight and sighed. "yeah, i know." he ran his hands through his hair. he walked away, back into the house. avalon stood there crossing her arms, almost hugging herself. she wasn't about to have another breakdown. she calmed herself down and went inside. she went up to her room and laid down, eventually falling asleep.

A/N: i am so so sorry this chapter took forever to get out. i was finishing planning out the story and other chapters.

also this chapter is shorter but the others will be much longer!

we're coming towards the end of the story !! but who knows, maybe i'll make a sequel ??