THIRTEEN!

there were only a couple hours left until the fourth would officially be over.

steven had left the house to go talk to shayla. jeremiah told him he needed to tell her he didn't just want to keep things casual. he was really starting to fall for her.

avalon was in the kitchen getting a snack before going to sleep. she had so much on her mind that she just assumed she wouldn't even get any sleep, no matter how much she tried.

jeremiah came in from outside. "oh av, you're up!" he cheered.

"yeah, why?" she laughed.

"i never got to set off my fireworks. is anyone else up?"

"nope, just me."

he shrugged his shoulders, "works for me." he ran over to her and took her hand, leading her outside.

he took her down to the beach where he had everything set up.

he had a few beach chairs set up. he thought more people would watch the fireworks. it upset him a little bit, but at least avalon was there. he wouldn't want anyone else there.

he lit the fireworks and ran over to sit next to avalon. "just wait till you see the palm tree firework that my dad got in mexico." his eyes lit up as he talked about it.

she couldn't help but smile at him. the way he talked about his firework shows, you could tell it made him happy. av didn't realize she had been staring at him, admiring the joy on his face.

she quickly looked away from him when he looked at her. he noticed though, which made him laugh a little. they watched the fireworks and enjoyed every moment.

the palm tree firework went up. "that was so beautiful!" avalon cheered.

jeremiah looked over at her, "yeah, just like you." he smiled.

she tried not to laugh since she knew he was being sweet. she couldn't help it. she burst out laughing.

her laughing made him laugh, "what's so funny?"

"that was so corny." she took a deep breath to pull herself together.

"yeah yeah, you're right." he chuckled and looked out at the waves washing up against the sand.

they sat there quietly for a few moments just enjoying the moment.

avalon blurted out and broke the silence, "my brother tried to contact my mom."

jere turned his head quickly. "what the hell! when?"

"i don't know." she shrugged, "she just dropped the news and went upstairs."

"damn." he leaned back, shocked at what he heard.

"yeah." raised her eyebrows.

"i mean hey, maybe it's a good thing. maybe he's changed." he added, looking for the best in the situation.

"doubt it." she rolled her eyes.

he gave her a sympathetic look. he didn't know what to say.

"i think i'm going to try to get some sleep." she stood up, "thanks for the firework show jere. it was amazing as always." she smiled.

"i'm glad you enjoyed it." he stood up to face her.

"hey uh, if you can't sleep tonight or something, you can come hangout with me. i'll be up for awhile." he offered.

"why's that? you need your beauty sleep." she joked.

he chuckled, "you're the one that needs beauty sleep."