SCHEME

Ch 18: The Scheme

ENJOY!!

…………………………

Ishtar was moving about in her quarters in a not-so-relaxed manner. She was anxious and worried and all of this due to a ceremony that was about to take place soon. For that, she had made apt preparations, even shutting down the red-light district for today.

This ceremony was of utmost importance. That said, it wasn’t as if she wanted to perform it ‘now’. She didn’t and wouldn’t unless she was certain of victory against Freya, but it couldn’t be helped. There were certain rules and limitations regarding said ceremony which couldn’t be broken and had to be followed unless it would all be wasted.

As she continued to wander about within the confined of her room, someone knocked on the door,

“Come in!”

The one to enter inside was a tall amazoness who reported right after entering, “He’s here!”. There wasn’t a hint of emotion in her voice and if something could be felt then that could only be pity and nothing else.

Hearing her, “Oh!”. Ishtar replied absentmindedly but then got excited soon after. 

“Bring him in!”

AT THE SAME TIME…

“That so!”

Freya could be seen sitting on her throne with a cold smile on her face talking to someone sitting on the floor, literally. The way she talked was very casual but anyone close to her could feel that seething rage hidden deep behind every spoken word.

“Yes, my lady.”, Hermes replied with as meek a tone as possible. Fear could be seen etched on his face but… Freya knew it was all an act. This man Hermes feared and respected only one man and for everyone else, it was a façade. Still, his words could be trusted since even her followers had told her of some unusual things going on with Ishtar Familia.

Freya condescendingly looked at him in pure despise and malice asking once again,

“Was it your doing?”

“Nononono… I had no choice in the matter. Believe me.”

“So, it was you. I should just kill you!”

His answer was all the proof she needed of his direct involvement. Even though she looked the same as before, but that warm smile was gone, replaced with a cold one. 

Hearing that threatening tone, Hermes straightened up as if accepting his soon-to-be fate, showing some hesitation before speaking.

“Perhaps you should but before that, I don’t want poor Bell to be tainted and since it was all my fault ‘in a way I wish to make up but… as you know. I’m not strong enough!”

He replied in a bland tone as if what he said was just a matter of fact, needing no proof or explanation. That said, the atmosphere around him grew threatening. It was as if a beast was showing his fangs and his will to pounce and shred him into pieces.

Feeling this changed air, Asfi standing behind him felt goosebumps all over her body. So much so that when she tried to move, she couldn’t. The air grew heavier and heavier until she was brought to her knees while panting heavily.

Finally, after some time, Freya spoke up, but the tone had gotten graver than ever,

“So, you want to USE ME!”

“Nonono nothing of the sort. Who would even dare? It’s just I thought that perhaps our desires match”

Freya calmed herself after hearing his immediate answer. She waved her hand and the heavy air finally subsided. This originated from the behemoth standing behind her throne, like a knight protecting her valor. He only listened to her and no one else and if she wasn’t present, Hermes would have left this world the moment he uttered those misleading words.