Past, Present & Future

Ch 21: Past, Present & Future

.............................

Haruhime woke up at the first instance of the morning. Taking a deep breath, she looked around her room and then out of the window, beaming with joy. This morning would mark exactly two weeks since she was freed and joined Hestia Familia.

She felt relaxed like never before. The demons of her past remained in her memory, deep within her heart but at least she didn't need to worry about her life ending anytime soon. All of this was unreal for her, something she never even experienced over these several years. She had grown up with hero stories but never expected to become like the princess from those stories, a princess who was rescued by her own Hero.

It was so surreal but not a dream, that she was certain.

She cleaned up, changed into her work clothes, and left the room with a broom in hand.

Walking out, she stood at the front door and stretched a little while looking up at the touch of grey in the dawn sky and closed her eyes while breathing in deeply. She was enjoying this moment of peace and tranquility. Staying like that for a bit, she reopened her eyes to begin her morning routine.

It was a simple endeavor, to sweep the surface and clean away the dirt.

"hmm~ hmm~ hmm~~~"

Dressed in a maid uniform, she worked diligently while humming an old song's tune. She didn't pay attention to any other stuff. Her actions were calm, and she didn't exert much force on the broom or move all that much. With only the slight rotation of her wrist, the broom moved effortlessly and when it did, the dust and trash on the ground seemed to magically accumulate in one place around her.

She was very experienced in this field of work, and it showed.

Anyone who saw her right now would think of her as a maid of this household and that's exactly what she was. She had become a maid of Hestia Familia, which wasn't something forced.

She chose this of her violation despite everyone else's reluctance. She wanted to do something for the familia, something other than adventuring, all so that she could pay them back for what they did for her, no matter how small. Even though others had tried to dissuade her, she remained unconvincing causing them to eventually give up and let her do what she wanted.

This was her own decision, and she was happy with it. This way, she could do more than just fight; this wasn't new, at least not for her. For all the times she had tried to escape while in Ishtar's familia, one punishment remained consistent.

From sweeping to laundry to cleaning and everything else, that was one of the punishments she got, and she got it multiple times.

Now she was simply doing what she occasionally did there with the only difference being, that was forced and this was voluntary.

And so, she spent her days beaming with joy. Now she could see the future. Not the bleak one but rather very hopeful and one filled with color and wonders.

........................

Whoosh! Whoosh!

Hup! Hah!

Haaaahhh!

Whoosh!

She screamed as her fists left after shadows in empty space. With beads of sweat rolling down her fair skin and a highly concentrated look, performing one move over the other in continuous succession, she looked like one of those fierce warriors often depicted in fiction and picture books.