[32] Breathe

Solana
Days Later...
3 more chapters...

They didn't catch Danny and I suppose I knew because of the endless nightmares I would wake up having. My parents tried to assure me that it's all going to be okay and that Danny won't be free for long. That they're going to catch him and bring him to justice.

I'm still on my toes about the situation.

I rest my chin on Michael's arm and watch him blink tiredly.

"How was sleeping back at home in your bed last night?" He asks softly and I grin.

"It was actually really nice. Besides the nightmares and withdrawal of being away from you for so long, but other than that, it was great. My parents really knew how to keep me comfortable back at home. I bet you can't wait until you can sleep at home again, huh?" I whisper and he chuckles deeply.

"You have no idea. Of course I'm going to miss holding you every night, but I'm glad things are going to be back to normal." He slowly lets out breaths and takes them in even slower, making me nervous.

"Are you sure you're getting better?" I ask and he replies by shaking his arm that I'm resting on, lifting it up and stroking the side of my face.

"I love you." He whispers although it makes my heart flutter, I frown.

"That wasn't answering my question." I say, but he just chuckles and shrugs.

"I'm just really tired baby. I think I was so worried about you that I tricked myself into thinking I was healed and the adrenaline kicked in, giving me the strength to carry myself on and do what I did, but now that I know you're okay and out of danger, I'm realizing just how hurt I actually am. Don't worry about me though, Lana. I'm not going anywhere... but occasionally in and out of consciousness." He says. There's a grin on his face from his joke and I can't help but to giggle as his smile is so contagious.

I glance around the hospital room with hundreds of cards, stuffed animals, balloons and flowers everywhere. Obviously our town was relieved to hear that me and Michael; the missing seniors from high school last year were found alive. Also, my house was flooded with the same thing when I got back home. Though I seem to never be here when people drop these things off to Michael.

"Michael, are you ever awake when people bring these in here to you?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No, actually they're not allowed to bring them up to me. My parents understood that I would get bombarded and didn't want that, and besides... you're my girlfriend now and a lot of the shit in here is from girls that we graduated with that I often slept with in the past..." He trails off and I frown.

"Right." His smile is breathtaking.

"Don't worry. You're all I ever wanted and now that I have you, I'm not going anywhere. Breathe." He murmurs and I do; nice and slow breaths. He seems calmer as I'm doing this and I reach up; running my hands through his hair.

"You might just lay around aching all day, but you do look much better." I say more to myself as he's drifting off and his deep laughter resonates in my chest.

"Dr. Lana approves?" He mumbles and I giggle.

"She does."

The mood in the room is very calm and settling and I look back up to Michael's face to see it has color; a little too much color from the faint and healing bruises, swelling and cuts, but he has heat to his face now and it's just so good to see him returning back to normal.

I think I'm way too in love with him.

I laugh lightly at myself and just stare at him as he now sleeps. His hand is snugly wrapped around one of mine and I look over my shoulder as the door creaks. His mom walks in and she smiles brightly.

"Hi Solana. How long has he been asleep?" She whispers softly, walking over and placing a kiss on his forehead. He doesn't move or make a sound and I smile softly.

"About ten minutes, but I think I'll leave now." I say and she shakes her head.

"Stay here with me, dear. We can talk, get to know each other... maybe you can..." She looks hesitant to ask me to tell her what happened, but I smile reassuringly.

"No problem." I reply and watch her pull a chair from the wall up to the bed, beside me. I gently take my hand from Michael's and look over at his mom. She smiles at me.

"So... was this Daniel boy as horrible to you as he was to my son?" She asks and I shake my head.

"He was in the beginning, but then he took Michael too and realized that he made a mistake as Michael had been trying to make a move on me for years and that I found him extremely attractive. Danny is not always smart." I roll my eyes and she sighs deeply.

"You two looked out for each other though." She states and I nod.

"Always. I remember I had gotten sick and couldn't do anything and Michael took care of me. He made sure no one laid a hand on me after that. Then the same with him for me... I mean, there was a little I could do when Danny and his little helpers decided that Michael needed to be punished and jump him. I mostly doctored him up after they would beat him for stupid reasons. Honestly though, if I was alone in it and if he had been the one to get taken and stayed alone too, we would've been dead, but we only lived because-"

"You were together." She finishes and I nod, letting out a shaky breath.

Breathe Solana, breathe.

It's over.

"I pray to god they find him. He's not very smart. I hope they know he's going to come back here." I whisper in worry and she nods.

"I hope they find him too dear. That's also one of the reasons we denied Michael of his visitors besides you of course, we don't want that boy to slip past security and take our baby. We can tell he's been fighting hard. All he needs to be doing is eating and resting. That's it. I don't want him working or going to school for a while. That's too heavy for him right now after all that's happened." She explains and I nod in agreement.

"My parents said the same thing. I'm taking a year off before I start school back up and they told me not to worry about money right now either. They want me to just enjoy the year I had taken from me." I say sadly as I think about it. Me and Michael were missing for eleven months. If anything, we deserve a year off.

I sigh heavily and remember what Michael was telling me. Breathe, just breathe. Everything will be clearer and better if I can just remember to breathe.

"That's good. You both need it. I'm so happy that my son has you. He seem changed and different. More affectionate and it's delightful to see. You made him like this." She whispers and I smile feeling light in my heart.

I know she's right, because he's not that arrogant cocky player he once was. He's just Michael Jackson and I'm just Solana Rowe. Now we're just two people in love, no games, no lies and no difficulties.

altaylor49