Saint Mungos - Ch.39

"How is Hermione?"

"Sir, I can't let you in"

"He's her fiancé-"

"Mr.Potter, I can not let anyone in unless Ms.Granger is awake"

"She hasn't been awake for 8 days!"Draco barked. "And you haven't done anything! You haven't told us anything!"

"Mr. Malfoy-"

"Let them in"

"I don't take orders from you, Ma'am"

"You will if you want to keep your job" It sounded like Narcissa. Strange.

"You are no threat to my job"

"I can buy this hospital. I will make myself a threat. Let us in. My son is on her emergency list, you are violating patient code by denying him-"

Hermione stirred, slowly opening her eyes. Her attention was drawn first to the machines beside her, muggle machines. There was an IV fluid bag hanging over her head, her heart beats on a monitor and another set of lighter beats on another screen.

She sat up slowly. She was in a white gown in a white bed, stuck in a white room. There was something on her stomach, little wires taped to her to monitor her baby's heart. More of them were taped on her hands, then an IV up her arm.

They were still arguing outside the door but all she could think about was Draco. Draco had been the last face she'd seen before she'd collapsed. Draco had been the first voice she'd woken up to. Draco. Draco. Draco.

It was torture. She needed him beside her. She needed him. With her left hand feeling heavy, she forced herself to put her hand on her lap, using the other to press against her engagement ring.

She heard his sharp inhaled breath. The arguing had stopped. And then the door burst open within seconds, shouting from the other end.

She was in his arms before she had processed it, one arm around the back of her shoulders and the other around her waist. He was muttering things into her hair, things she couldn't make out. He had tucked her head under his neck, covering her from seeing anything but him.

"Mr. Malfoy, you'll need to step aside for us to examine her" A healer, she assumed. She heard movement, footsteps around the room, a few gasps as well.

She tried to wrap her arm around him but it was difficult, leaving her hand to settle on his waist, her thumb making soothing circles against his shirt.

He pulled back enough for her to see the rest, but her gaze stayed solely on him. His hands cupped her face, allowing her to assess him. He had a cut on his eyebrow, healing. There was a bruise on his cheek and another large gash on his neck.

"What happened?"Her voice came out cracked, her throat sore.

"We will tell you soon enough-"

"Draco"Hermione interrupted the healer. She knew it was their job but she refused to be treated as fragile.

He sat on the edge of her bed, his hands finding hers. "They had death eaters outside the room, disguised. They blew everything up, from the inside and out"

"Is everyone okay-"

"You were the only one who didn't wake up, Hermione"Harry spoke up.

She turned her head, almost caught off-guard by them. Harry was standing at the end of her bed, Narcissa by the door. Pansy was fidgeting with her hands in the doorway. Ginny was next to the monitors. The Healer was not too far behind Draco.