They're assholes

A/N: hiii everyone. I know I keep saying this, but I AM truly sorry for how long this took again. I have not been in the right mindset and school has been exhausting. I will try to post again shortly tho, already have an idea :). This one is a bit short but I kinda like it and I hope you do too. Love y'all. Xx

Age: idk 20's?
Word count: 836
TW: bad self image if that counts.
Summary: the internet is a piece of shit.
——————————————————————

'Has anyone seen Nat?', I ask. I've been looking for her for quite some time now but can't seem to find her.

I know she's somewhere here at the compound. No one saw her leave and her motorcycle and car are still in the garage. I can't say I'm worried, but I'm also not completely at ease.

I've been with her for about half a year now, but lately she's been more and more absent.

'I thought I saw her going to the gym but don't know if she's still there.', Clint mentions, his eyes focused on the screen in his hands.

'Thanks.'

I'm almost 100 percent positive I've checked there, but having another look won't hurt I guess.

As I make my way to the basement, I expect to hear some punching sounds. I don't hear them though. It's completely silent.

The perfect kind of silent where the voices in your head decide to let you know what a piece of shit you're actually are. Okay probably not for most people. For them it's just really quiet.

When I get down, I notice the ring is empty, so is the weight room.

The only place I haven't checked yet, are the showers.

'Nat?'

Nothing. Just to make sure, I stick my head through the doorframe, letting my eyes go from wall to wall. They linger at the bench in front of the lockers.

'Hey, you okay?', I ask. Nat's still in her sports bra and shorts, sitting on the piece of wood, head in her hands.

She looks up and I see she's been crying. The sight breaks my heart a little.

'Am I a bad person?'

Oh god. I stuff my phone in my pocket as I take place next to her.

'Of course not, why'd you think that?'

I wrap my arm around her shoulder as I kiss the top of her head, letting her think about her answer.

'The people on the internet are being very vocal.', she murmurs. Her foot is nervously ticking on the ground. By the few beads of sweat rolling down her forehead I realise she hasn't showered yet.

'They're assholes, you know that right.', I try, placing my hand on her thigh.

'They're right though. How can I expect people to trust me, to like me, when I'm exactly what I'm fighting against.' As she speaks, her voice cracks and her eyes start to water. I want to hug her so bad but I don't think that's what she needs right now.

'That's not even close to the truth Nat, you're not anything like them. At all alright.', I try. God I hate social media.

'How? I've killed, I've manipulated. I have done some pretty shitty things you know.'

I hate that's how she sees herself. Like the monster she was taught to be. And in my opinion never became. On shitty days, Nat believes that the Red Room has taken her humanity, that she is just a weapon. But of course, that is far from the truth.

'Okay listen. There's a big difference between doing shitty things, against your will may I add, and being a bad person alright?'

'I don't want my children out on the streets when someone as dangerous and cruel as Natasha Romanoff is free to go wherever she wants.', she reads from her phone. I feel my blood boil as she shows me the tweet, but I know I should stay calm.

I take the phone out of her hand, and without saying a word, I delete twitter.

'You shouldn't be reading that kind of shift you know that right?'. I place the phone next to me one the bench and then hold her by her shoulders. 'Because honestly Nat, you're the most beautiful person I have ever met. And I have met a lot of people.', I wink which makes her chuckle.

'I'm serious. You're so kind, so understanding. You never put yourself first, you are more than a good person. Please just, let that sink in alright.'

She softly places a kiss on my cheek, her hand entangling with mine.

'I appreciate you so much.', she whispers. I know most people would have used the word 'love' but I honestly think this is better.

'Anytime.', I smile. 'Now go shower, you smell awful.'

She playfully nudges me in my side before standing up.

'Can you join me?', she asks, a somewhat shy smile covering her lips.

'It would be my pleasure.', I joke. A weight falls of my shoulders as I can see her relax a bit again. I know this is probably far from over, but you know, even baby steps forward are steps forward.

As I walk towards her, she stretches her arm, reaching for my wrist to pull me towards her.

'You know, you are pretty clingy for an assassin.', I tease. She shoots me a glare which only makes me laugh more, since her hand doesn't leave my arm.

'Be nice.', she orders.

'Yes ma'am.'