Rises the moon (2012)

The lair was quiet. Unusually quiet. The quiet that only arrived with the sweet light of the moon and the sounds of chirping from the night insects that lay bedded in the sewers.

Donatello Hamato relished this silence and sighed contently. It was only in these moments that he would be able to get anything done, he thought as he mingled with the beakers collected in his arms.

To be fair and truthful, Don had been sleeping quite well in most parts, before the images of something he no longer remembered awoke him from the ghastly dreaming.

He hadn't had nightmares for a long time, so he was curious to know why one suddenly appeared when he least expected it. They were like his enemies that way, but Don didn't want to think about that right now.

He glanced at one particular test tube and rubbed it against his thigh, eyes sparkling at the change of colour of the liquid the beaker held.

Don gazed at his lab, excitedly. The same boyish excitement that his younger brother had 24/7 seemed to appear in the purple loving mutant's grin.

His thoughts tinkering in his mind, he whistled softly a tune he no longer remembered (or cared enough to remember). A song April sang to him? Or his brothers? He had no clue.

But the tune was gentle and sweet and Donnie found his eyes grow heavy. But he blinked them away when he spotted what he was looking for. It was on top of the tallest cabinet in the room, a safe place where his younger brother would not find. And destroy. But that seemed to go a tad too far. Sure, Mikey was chaotic and mischievous but that didn't necessarily mean he was destructive.

But he's broken one too many things.

Donnie ignored the silent whisper in his head and smiled widely at the invention he was holding.

He didn't really know where he was going with it but-

The small click of the door behind interrupted his startled thoughts and he jumped slightly. Turning around, he's met with sea-blue eyes and a surprised expression.

Well speak of the devil.

"Donnie," his younger brother said, more as in a reaction to shock rather than a greeting.

The latter raised an eyebrow.

"Mikey..?" He replied, voice hesitant and confused.

Said turtle broke a smile at that, although it was flimsy and fake.

"W-What are you doing up so late, huh D?"

He stumbled whilst leaning against the door and almost face planted.

Don broke into laughter at his childish antics before steeling himself once more. Coughing slightly, but with a serious expression, he asked.

"What are YOU doing up so late, Michelangelo? It is way past your bedtime."

Rubbing his freckled nose that shaped itself into a pout, he grumbled at his older brother.

"Don't have a bedtime. I am a big boy."

"The only part of 'big boy' you are is your weight."

Mike scoffed and rubbed his stomach.

"A growing turtle has gotta eat, bro!"

"Ha bloody ha."

Now a real smile had made its way across Mikey's face, eyes beaming with admiration to his older brother and Don found himself growing breathless.

He had just insulted him. And yet all his expression told was adoration.

He just didn't understand.

Donnie felt warmth pool in his chest when he looked at Mikey. His eyes softened and he beckoned him to come closer, Mikey joining him without any hesitation.