(TSM 13) Scared of the dark

Final part!!! :DDDD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mikey never liked being all stuck up inside the lair, even as a child. Sometimes, he would sneak out into the sewers, peer up through the manholes just to breathe in some fresh air. Splinter had always found him, scolded him and brought him back with his tail in between his legs.

But Mikey went out anyway.

Now, one sad rainy night, Splinter found himself up at the surface, travelling rooftop to rooftop, experiencing the thrill his sons spoke so wildly about. He enjoyed being like this, on edge and feeling like his younger unmutated self.

He sat next to his youngest son heavily, grunting as he did so and rolling his cane behind him.

Michelangelo looked at him with wide eyes.

Don't you tell me you're fine

The mutant rat said nothing for long moments, only using this time to relish in the stars, and the beauty of New York City when it was dark.

Then he turned to his son, a soft smile on his face, asking him if he was well.

And like always, Mikey smiled at him, nodded his head and asked if Splinter was.

I can tell when you're lying

The mutant rat let him distract the topic from what was important.

But he didn't miss the look of longing on Mikey's face as he watched Shredder's hideout.

Caught you slipping on ice

Donnie laughed when the smoke bomb blew up on Mikey's face, the foggy purple substance slowly evaporating and revealing the bemused expression on his brother. A thick purplish goo was stuck on his head, covering his entire face and Mikey giggled softly.

Donatello pressed one hand to his mouth and reached out with the other to fix his face.

But your heart is on fire

But Mikey flinched at the sight of his hand, and Donnie's blood ran cold.

The orange clad turtle shrugged, apologising.

"Force of habit," was what he said, before cracking a small sullen smile.

Donnie wondered if there was still time for him to jump off the tallest tower in New York City.

But all he did was crack a smile of his own, rub his brother's head affectionately and continue to teach him all the ways of his lab.

'Cause I notice your scars

Raphael noticed the scratching. Mikey did it even when they continuously told him not too. But Mikey did it unconsciously, no matter what he did.

It was always the bad things too.

Scolded? Scratches to his neck. Messed up on patrol? Bloody nail crescent marks on his thighs. Angered one of his brothers? Deep lines of red and purple brandished on his arms like a war medal.

Now, he had accidently tripped during patrol, effectively knocking over one of the Kraang who were about to plant a bomb in their area. But in doing so, he also triggered one other bomb that erupted beneath him, causing him to get slammed against the walls behind him, along with Raphael.

They both came out okay, except Raph had a small fracture in his wrist that would take a day or two to heal.

Raph knew Mikey was blaming himself. He knew it from the tight clenched up shoulders. From the dark tired eyes. From the way he avoided any sort of contact.