Somethin' Stupid

I know I stand in line until you think

Mikey grinned devilishly at his older sibling, blue eyes flashing and rocking his body from side to side, hands behind his back leaning up at him.

Leo side-eyed him from checking the fridge, trying to ignore the bumbling mess that is his brother and find some leftover spaghetti from the night before.

You have the time to spend an evening with me

Mikey had asked him to go out, for dinner, at that old bust-down pizza place by the corner.

"I'll pay!" He had said, all cheery and desperate and needy. Please come with me. I don't have much time left.

And if we go someplace to dance

And Leo did.

I know that there's a chance you won't be leaving with me

But he left before the pizza came, a harsh reply on his tongue, and tears starring in Mikey's dejected eyes.

And afterwards we drop into a quiet little place

"Donnniieeeeee~" Mikey whispered, entering the lab and smiling fondly at the sigh of his genius brother hunched over an invention, blowtorch in hand and expression furrowed in concentration.

Mikey knew the rules of being in Donnie's lab. No eating. No Drinking. No loud noises. No talking. No distractions. No touching anything. No asking questions. No annoying or nagging him.

They were simple.

And have a drink or two

Yet he still strode in with two hot chocolates in hand, eyes pleading for a warm conversation and hands warm with the drink.

He set the cup gently next to his brother, sitting cross-legged on the floor and cradling his mug.

"You know Leatherhead did this really cool thing today," Mikey whispered ever so quietly, so as to not disturb his brother.

Sure it was nice to talk to someone sometimes, but not if it meant they didn't have the choice of zoning out.

Mikey knew his brothers weren't interested in whatever he had to say.

But he wanted to have some good last memories of them.

Besides, who knows Mikey to give up?

And then I go and spoil it all by saying

"-then Casey did this thing on the skateboard and it was awesome!" Mikey finished, blowing on his hot chocolate and urging Donnie to take a sip of his as well.

It was his favourite.

Donnie huffed and rolled his eyes, taking off the safety goggles he was wearing and taking a sip.

He caught Mikey staring at him from the corner of his eye, and he turned, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" He demanded, already getting back to work.

Something stupid like I love you

"I love you," Mikey whispered, and Donnie nodded a half-ass response, not even realising that Mikey had slipped out of the doorway, two empty mugs in hand.

I can see it in your eyes that you despise

"Come on Raphie!!" Mikey grinned, bringing his hands up in defence, winking at his red-banded brother from across the room.

He had noticed the growing unease, tension, and anger growing in his brother. He knew he needed an outlet.

He knew his Raph.

The same old lies you heard the night before

"Shut up, numbskull!" Raph threatened, going in to punch Mikey in the face.

And though it's just a line to you for me it's true

"Numbskull." He had called him. "Idiot."

"Moron." "Dumbass." "Brainless."

At least before he had fallen unwell, Mikey had simply brushed them off as plain lies.

And never seemed so right before

But they never seemed so right before.

I practice every day to find some clever lines

He'll practise every day to find the right lines. Ones that won't upset his brothers. Ones that would let him keep a low profile.

To say to make the meaning come true

Tiptoe around his brothers and wipe the blood off the toilet seat.

But then I think I'll wait until the evening gets late

He'll keep his days close and his brothers closer, hoping they won't be upset with him leaving so abruptly.

And I'm alone with you

He wasn't expecting the demanded slumber party, on his last night.

The time is right, your perfume fills my head

Pillows are suddenly thrown at him, and he is forced to go and make snacks.

The stars get red and oh, the night's so blue

The smell of buttered popcorn fills the air, and Mikey hears Donnie rustle with the remote, finding something to play on the tv.

And then I go and spoil it all by saying

He looks at his brothers then, standing in the kitchen, a salt packet in hand.

Eyes wide and wet and brimming with some form of loving desperation.

Something stupid like I love you

He wouldn't spoil this moment, by saying something stupid like I love you.

He knew they wouldn't say it back. And doing it would only force them.

Mikey knew that his brothers loved each other more than they loved him.

He didn't mind it.

He would be fine if they liked him enough to keep him around.

That was enough.

The time is right, your perfume fills my head

He's bunched in between Raph and Leo, the weakness spreading through his veins causing him to slump against his blue-banded brother.

The comforting smell of his old deodorant fills him with some sort of warmth.

Raph's hand is on his knee and it surges heat through his body, unbrought contentedness that sets his raging heart at ease.

The stars get red and oh, the night's so blue

Black dots spark in his vision, blurring the movie on the tv and static fills his ears, making Donnie's laughter sound unhinged and glitchy. Suddenly, the weight of Raph's hand seemed heavier than ever.

And then I go and spoil it all by saying

He feels something wet trickle from his lip, and his body sag. His bones turn to jelly and his heartbeat slows.

Something stupid like I love you

"I love you."

I love you

"What did you say Mikey?"

I love you

"Mikey?"

I love you

"Mikey!?"

I love you

"Mikey...?"