Growing turtles Dying internals (2012)

The smell was terribly putrid.

He had never really liked vomiting, well who would?

It was always an effort to make him throw up when he was younger, in order to vomit up the diseases he would be carrying, a relentless fit, a hissing tantrum. Tears, yells , the whole package before the pain became too much and he curled over the floor.

But now, with his head over the toilet bowl, fingers shoved down his throat, water rimming his eyes, it felt different.

He didn't know what to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It started as a comment. A simple off handed, thrown-out comment his brother had made when they were eating lunch.

Mikey had made homemade pizza, a delight in the Hamato household, especially when Casey and April would come over and the whole thing would turn into a picnic.

The pizza was delicious and everyone found themselves having one more piece, and then another. Raph was making small comments about his slice, grinning and Leo was watching them all warmly.

But then he spotted his youngest brother taking another slice, eyes focused on Casey, who was telling him about the latest Crognard episodes, with a shit-eating grin on his face.

Leo knocked Mike's hand, gentle but firmly and the pizza dropped back onto the plate. When the chef looked questioningly up at him, Casey had stopped speaking and was looking at Leo as well.

The oldest shook his head.

"I think that's enough for you, Angelo. You've eaten quite enough. Besides, there's too many calories in this thing."

Mikey's eyes had widened, and his smile dimmed slightly. Casey was looking at Leo with a disgusted and bemused expression on his face.

"Yo, chill out my guy. Let him eat."

He turned to Mikey.

"Have another slice, Mikester. The pizza is brilliant by the way."

The youngest had smiled then, all sky blue eyes and brilliant teeth, before picking up another slice and knocking it against Casey's.

But no one noticed it stayed uneaten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suddenly now, whenever food was involved, Mikey heard his older brother's voice in his mind.

Calories.

What was Leo trying to say?

He pondered over this question, not noticing his genius elder walking into the kitchen, eyes drowsy and demanding another pot of coffee.

It took Don all but ten minutes to get Mikey to notice him, which resulted in fearful eyes and a haunched expression when he started yelling at the youngest.

"Well maybe if you didn't eat so much, then you could hear properly, Angelo!"

And it was the wrong thing to say, he knew it. But Donnie was tired and had a huge major headache and it only seemed right to reprimand his little brother.

The coffee was given silently, with head bowed to hide the tears welling up in his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raph had noticed something wrong with his youngest immediately.

Well not immediately but he knew.

Mikey had started eating less than usual, which was okay because if he wasn't hungry then he wasn't hungry, Raphael paid no mind to it. But it was when Mikey stopped eating completely that he got worried.